"Jane Austen's final resting place" Top 5 Page for this destination Winchester by Jefie

Winchester Travel Guide: 186 reviews and 381 photos

Winchester is a charming historic city, located in Hampshire, southern England. Although the city has several claims to fame, including its magnificient medieval cathedral, the main reason behind our day-trip to Winchester was to pay our respect to English writer Jane Austen (1775-1817), who died and was buried in Winchester. Unfortunately, my old non-digital camera broke the day before we headed out to Winchester so the few pictures that appear on this page are those my friend Sylvia and I managed to take with a cheap disposable camera. They do a rather poor job of showing the beauty of Winchester, but I guess I should see it as an excuse to go back, right?

• Pros:Small, very walkable city
  • Cons:Bartender had never heard of a black velvet before!
  • In a nutshell:We went for Jane Austen, but we discovered so much more!
  • Last visit to Winchester: May 2005
  • Intro Updated Dec 26, 2009

• Dabs's Profile Photo
    Dec 31, 2010 at 12:46 PM

Was watching "Pillars of the Earth" and wondered if Winchester Cathedral was worth a visit, looks like it is!

• spidermiss's Profile Photo
    Jul 16, 2010 at 2:59 PM

I'm thinking of Winchester on a future trip. Thanks for your tips and these have given me some ideas what to do whilst I'm there.

• TheWanderingCamel's Profile Photo
    Dec 29, 2009 at 3:53 PM

One of my favourite English towns - nice page.

• BTMonica's Profile Photo
    Jul 21, 2008 at 7:50 AM

For sure these tips were informative, well-written, and supplemented by some wonderful pictures. England is a fascinating country.

• Jul 13, 2008 at 5:32 AM

From a personal perspective, whether a pub is authentic or not shouldn't really matter. The important thing is that they serve excellent booze. Awesome tip on Jane Austen.

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Feb 3, 2008 at 9:15 AM

Jefie, excellent tips on your mission in Winchester! I'd say your fill-in camera did quite a nice little job of it! That's what I love about England too - there are so many interesting things to see everywhere you look.

Jefie

“"Travel is fatal to narrow-mindedness"”

Badges & Stats in Winchester

Have you been to Winchester?