"Jane Austen's final resting place" Top 5 Page for this destination Winchester by Jefie
Winchester Travel Guide: 186 reviews and 381 photos
Winchester is a charming historic city, located in Hampshire, southern England. Although the city has several claims to fame, including its magnificient medieval cathedral, the main reason behind our day-trip to Winchester was to pay our respect to English writer Jane Austen (1775-1817), who died and was buried in Winchester. Unfortunately, my old non-digital camera broke the day before we headed out to Winchester so the few pictures that appear on this page are those my friend Sylvia and I managed to take with a cheap disposable camera. They do a rather poor job of showing the beauty of Winchester, but I guess I should see it as an excuse to go back, right?
- Pros:Small, very walkable city
- Cons:Bartender had never heard of a black velvet before!
- In a nutshell:We went for Jane Austen, but we discovered so much more!
The Eclipse Inn is located in an area called "The Square", which dates back to the 14th century. The Square was the... more travel advice
To get from the Guildhall to Wolvesey Castle, we took the path that goes along the River Itchen. Although it is just a... more travel advice
Jefie's Related Pages
Winchester Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Two English Yanks"
- "WINCHESTER CATHEDRAL - REMEMBER THE SONG?"
- "Ancient capital city of England."
- "History, history and more history."
- "Jane Austen's final resting place"
- "Winchester, the ancient capital of England"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Winchester
- Hotels in Winchester
- Transportation in Winchester
- Nightlife in Winchester
- Restaurants in Winchester
- Shopping in Winchester
- Warnings and Dangers in Winchester
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Winchester
- 8 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (58)
Have you been to Winchester?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Winchester
- Posted in Travel San Juan Forum "Re: Walk from El Condado to Old..."
- updated a Winchester Travel Page "Jane Austen's final resting place"
- Wrote a Review My most authentic pub experience in the UK in Winchester Restaurants
- Uploaded a Photo to "Take a walk along the River Itchen"
- Commented on one of planxty's Winchester travel pages
Photos in WinchesterSee All Photos (9)
Top 10 Pages
- Vienna Intro, 69 reviews, 218 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quebec Intro, 97 reviews, 190 photos
- New York City Intro, 74 reviews, 211 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Caye Caulker Intro, 53 reviews, 188 photos, 3 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 59 reviews, 178 photos
- Prague Intro, 53 reviews, 183 photos
- Budapest Intro, 56 reviews, 178 photos
- Paris Intro, 60 reviews, 168 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Madrid Intro, 66 reviews, 160 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dublin Intro, 51 reviews, 148 photos