"My first trip to Ireland!" Top 5 Page for this destination Dublin by Jefie

Dublin Travel Guide: 5,145 reviews and 9,471 photos

Cead Mile Failte, a hundred thousand welcomes to Baile Atha Cliath!!

When I first started telling people I was going to Dublin for a week, the same two questions generally came up: "Do you have family there?", and just a plain old "Why??". The answer to the first is no, as far as I know my red hair doesn't have anything to do with Ireland; as for the second question, I found it a bit hard to answer given that for as long as I can remember, I've simply always been fascinated with Ireland: its music, history, literature and culture... everything about it made me want to put it at the very top of my travel wishlist.

Because I'd been wanting to go for so long, I was half afraid I'd be disappointed, that Dublin couldn't possibly be as interesting a city as my imagination made it out to be - but I was so far from being disappointed! We spent an amazing week touring around Dublin, visiting its museums and historical sites, discussing what we had learned over a pint while waiting for the next set of music to begin. Of course, it only left me wanting to discover more of the country, which I hope I shall be able to do soon. In the mean time, here are some tips that I hope will be useful to those preparing a trip to this wonderful city!

• Pros:The combination of music, beer, history & culture
  • Cons:The weather is... interesting to deal with!
  • In a nutshell:A great introduction to Ireland!
  • Last visit to Dublin: May 2009
  • Intro Updated Dec 29, 2010

• Pomocub's Profile Photo
    Feb 10, 2014 at 11:45 PM

Great page. I didn't get a lot of time to see these places on my trip to Dublin last year. Hopefully I will get to visit again soon and spend a bit longer there :)

• Jefie's Profile Photo
      Feb 11, 2014 at 2:54 AM

Thanks, I also hope to go back and explore more of the city and country, I loved the time we spent in Ireland!

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Feb 3, 2013 at 7:27 AM

Thanks for the tips

• Jefie's Profile Photo
      Feb 3, 2013 at 8:58 AM

You're most welcome, thanks for stopping by!

• xaver's Profile Photo
    Nov 11, 2010 at 4:28 PM

great destination, I'd mainly for pubs but, as you said, the museum of the Dublin writers is a definitly interesting place to visit.

• Redang's Profile Photo
    Jul 10, 2009 at 11:03 AM

Excellent!

• Jun 28, 2009 at 2:44 PM

I actually thought it was really good! It had the right mix for me of history and paranormal stuff, I would never have known that such a large part of the medieval wall remained down there. All and all for me it was an enjoyable experience.

• King_Golo's Profile Photo
    Jun 28, 2009 at 1:07 PM

Again me... This is a really great page, as usual, as it was created by you! I was in Dublin in 2002, but only for a very short time. Let's hope I can make it there from Oxford...

• Dabs's Profile Photo
    Jun 14, 2009 at 4:02 PM

Very useful tips Isa, I've saved quite a few of them for my trip :-) Bummed to hear that the ghost tour was no good, I already had that on my list. Maybe I'll swap that for one of the other tours you enjoyed.

• breughel's Profile Photo
    Jun 4, 2009 at 10:46 AM

Superbes pages sur Dublin. Encore mieux que ce vous espériez, semble-t-il! Pour moi qui aime les bières brunes, j'ai bien noté vos adresses.

• Greggor58's Profile Photo
    May 31, 2009 at 11:23 AM

I know I've seen the Victorian Wing of Kilmainham Gaol somewhere before Isa...maybe in a past life perhaps.. : O } GREAT Dublin pages Isa.... A VERY interesting place to explore from the looks of it...I'm adding it to my list of places to see..

• Mikebb's Profile Photo
    May 29, 2009 at 4:59 PM

Nice page Isa, you certainly had a good time in Dublin. From all the pubs you visited you will be an expert on Irish beer. How did you find time for sightseeing.

Jefie

“"Travel is fatal to narrow-mindedness"”

Badges & Stats in Dublin