"Alcala de Henares, Home of Cervantes" Top 5 Page for this destination Alcalá de Henares by Jefie
Alcalá de Henares Travel Guide: 33 reviews and 93 photos
Alcala de Henares is located about 30 km away from Madrid. It is well-known for its university, the oldest in Spain, and for being the city where Spanish author Miguel de Cervantes was born. Because of its many important historic buildings, the old center of the city has been declared World Heritage Site by UNESCO. Despite all these claims to fame, however, not many people seem to take the time to visit Alcala de Henares when they are touring around Madrid.
On a rainy morning, Nico (white_smallstar) and I, who both happened to be in Madrid at the same time, met up at the Puerta del Sol to go on a day-trip to Alcala. After Nico had had her daily fix of pastries at La Mallorquina, we were off to the Atocha train station and on our way to Alcala. We had a wonderful day in the city of Cervantes and I hope the following tips will convince you that it's worth the detour!
- Pros:Many historic sites to visit, a must for all the Don Quijote fans out there
- Cons:Getting from the train station to the old city is incredibly confusing
- In a nutshell:A great day-trip destination from Madrid
If you travel to Alcala by train, you'll most probably walk by the Palacio Laredo and it's impossible not to notice its... more travel advice
The Plaza de Cervantes dates back to the 13th century, although it obviously had a different name back then. Like the... more travel advice
Jefie's Related Pages
Alcalá de Henares Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Alcala de Henares, Home of Cervantes"
- "Alcalá de Henares - University since 1499"
- "Alcala de Henares"
- "Alcala de Henarez"
- "UNESCO World Heritage City"
- "Study Abroad - Maryland in Spain"
- "Alcalá de Henares"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Alcalá de Henares
- Transportation in Alcalá de Henares
- Nightlife in Alcalá de Henares
- Restaurants in Alcalá de Henares
- Shopping in Alcalá de Henares
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Alcalá de Henares
- 16 Reviews
- 38 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (58)
Have you been to Alcalá de Henares?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Alcalá de Henares
Photos in Alcalá de HenaresSee All Photos (38)
Top 10 Pages
- Vienna Intro, 69 reviews, 218 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quebec Intro, 97 reviews, 190 photos
- New York City Intro, 74 reviews, 211 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Caye Caulker Intro, 53 reviews, 188 photos, 3 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 59 reviews, 178 photos
- Prague Intro, 53 reviews, 183 photos
- Budapest Intro, 56 reviews, 178 photos
- Paris Intro, 60 reviews, 168 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Madrid Intro, 66 reviews, 160 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dublin Intro, 51 reviews, 148 photos