"The incomparable beauty of Venice" Venice by Jefie

Venice Travel Guide: 8,203 reviews and 21,709 photos

I guess Venice needs no introduction, for who hasn't heard all about this Italian city built on water, with its hundreds of bridges, canals and gondolas? But no matter how many pictures I'd seen, or how much stories I'd heard, nothing could prepare me for the kind of beauty that was waiting for me in Venice - it was love at first sight! The minute I stepped out of the bus and took my first look at the colourful buildings surrounded by water, it gave me the impression I was walking around a movie set because it all seemed too perfectly beautiful to be true!

We spent a little over five days in Venice and instead of getting used to its special kind of beauty, the feeling only increased as we ventured further and further into the city, moving away from Piazza San Marco to discover those quiet, almost deserted streets. Many people will tell you that Venice is small and that you only need 2-3 days to visit the city, but in my case, I wish we could have spent even more time there because it truly is the kind of place you want to get lost into. I've no idea if my little travel page will do the city any kind of justice but in any case, my advice if you haven't already been there would be not to take my word for it - go and see for yourself, you won't regret it!

• Pros:The amazing architecture and the serenity of the city
  • Cons:The price they charge for a gondola ride!
  • In a nutshell:The most beautiful city I've ever seen
  • Last visit to Venice: May 2010
  • Intro Updated Aug 11, 2010

• Minceta's Profile Photo
    Nov 22, 2011 at 4:18 AM

Venice, like the whole Italy, is BEAUTIFUL! It is like a big open-ari museum. I adore Italy in general!

• spidermiss's Profile Photo
    May 14, 2011 at 8:37 AM

I love Venice and planning to return to see and do the sights "properly". I bought a small bottle of Bellini at a drinks stall in the back street for 2.50 Euros!

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Jan 17, 2011 at 11:57 AM

You did an excellent presentation of this wonderful city and its historic sites.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Jan 6, 2011 at 1:57 PM

Me again, coming back to read the rest of your Venice tips. (I think I've seen them all now.) I agree that the absence of cars is a great thing about Venice. Glad you traveled by train, even though the station is not exactly an architectural masterpiece.

• CalogeroMira's Profile Photo
    Dec 23, 2010 at 11:12 AM

Yes, Venice is amazing.

• breughel's Profile Photo
    Nov 7, 2010 at 2:14 AM

Me again. I fully agree with your "Tourist traps". What you write is right; 2-3 days in Venice is like only reading the preface of a book of thousand pages.

• Elisabcn's Profile Photo
    Oct 7, 2010 at 1:40 PM

Ah, la Serenissima! I started your nice tour at Piazza San Marco and will come later to enjoy the beautiful architecture on the canals. Good job, as usual ;-)

• suvanki's Profile Photo
    Sep 10, 2010 at 9:28 AM

Thoroughly enjoyed reading about your Venice trip-Great tips! Thanks.....

• Greggor58's Profile Photo
    Sep 6, 2010 at 6:19 AM

Ill be back again to complete my visit...Ive just read your restaurant tips and Im off to make breakfast!!!Another informative and interesting page Isa.Food tips ALWAYS make me hungry.. :o)

• Dabs's Profile Photo
    Aug 15, 2010 at 6:42 PM

Well, I had to come look ;-)

Jefie

“"Travel is fatal to narrow-mindedness"”

Badges & Stats in Venice