"The faded beauty of Havana" Top 5 Page for this destination Havana by Jefie

Havana Travel Guide: 1,586 reviews and 3,604 photos

Dating back to the early 16th century, Havana is the kind of city where history oozes from every street and building, from every church and plaza. A city marked by numerous revolutions, Havana has seen its fair share of heroes rise and fall - from the Spanish governors to the American mafia, from Jose Marti to Che Guevara, and from the Bay of Pigs invasion to the missil crisis, the history of Havana leaves no one indifferent, and neither does its culture - anyone who's ever listened to the Buena Vista Social Club can't help but dream of visiting this island where warm voices and rythms are only matched by the sound of the waves crashing on the Malecon.

And so it was that Sylvain and I decided to spend a week in Havana in January 2006, our very first time traveling together outside of Canada and tue US. It was an eventful week, to say the least, complete with a trip to the hospital and police station (!), but what we'll remember the most is the amazing food, warm atmosphere and the nice people we met: thanks to VT, we met with Victor and Lys, two very precious friends whom we hope to see again very soon.

I sincerely hope the following tips will help people discover the capital of Cuba and perhaps help some of you make the most of your trip to La Habana. Enjoy!

• Last visit to Havana: Jan 2006
  • Intro Updated Dec 29, 2010

• JessH's Profile Photo
    Apr 4, 2011 at 4:04 AM

Hi Isa! I've always wanted to visit Cuba & really enjoyed your tips & photos; thanks for sharing! This year, I'm heading back to bonny Scotland. What are your travel plans? Greetings from Dubai / Jess :-)

• Elisabcn's Profile Photo
    Jan 31, 2011 at 2:15 AM

It was nice to follow Hemingway's steps through your beautiful pics and tips. And I virtually tasted your cocktails as well :-) Well done, Isa!

• Mikebb's Profile Photo
    Nov 13, 2009 at 11:44 PM

Enjoyed your page Isa, I think I will remain a virtual tourist of Cuba as to far away. Thank you for the birthday greeting.

• Feb 5, 2009 at 5:22 PM

in july 2007 we visited havana's cemetery and we went to see la milagrosa we like other left some money to decorate their grave with flower's.we were blessed that day we have most beautiful little baby girl xx I was told i could not have any children xx

• Jul 25, 2008 at 4:04 PM

I really hope my government will lift the ban on travel to Cuba, so I can make the trip to this beautiful country some day. Or, I can just became a citizen of Canada, Mexico, or Europe.

• BTMonica's Profile Photo
    Jul 21, 2008 at 7:35 AM

You were mugged? Sorry it happened, but thank god you received such great assistance from the police and Cuban people.

• Jul 13, 2008 at 5:13 AM

Awesome tips. I especially enjoyed reading your local customs tip. I wish it were easy for citizens of the U.S. to travel to Cuba. My desire to do so has been shot down twice.

• Redang's Profile Photo
    May 14, 2008 at 12:43 PM

Thanks! I'm adding some new pics of buildings

• Kisu's Profile Photo
    Feb 19, 2008 at 12:52 AM

Cool pictures and great info!!Thanks!

• breughel's Profile Photo
    Dec 7, 2007 at 5:34 AM

Bon week-end Isa, Un peu de chaleur cubaine en ce mois d'hiver fait du bien.

Jefie

“"Travel is fatal to narrow-mindedness"”

Badges & Stats in Havana