"La Ciudad del Encanto" Top 5 Page for this destination San Juan by Jefie
San Juan Travel Guide: 745 reviews and 2,541 photos
The city of San Juan was officially established in 1521, making it one of the oldest cities in all of the Americas. As you stroll down the streets of Old San Juan, you can't help but be amazed at the five centuries of history that have been so beautifully preserved. Originally a Spanish colony, Puerto Rico was ceded to the United States in 1898 at the end of the Spanish-American War. Today, the island remains an independent territory of the United States. As such, San Juan is a pretty unique place to visit in the Caribbeans: the capital city offers all the comforts and amenities of its "big brother", but has still managed to retain a distinct Latin atmosphere and culture. You'll notice it in the general attitude of Puerto Ricans, who are are incredibly warm and friendly (except when they're driving!), and also in the delicious local dishes and drinks!!
San Juan is one of the major ports in the Caribbeans and, for this reason, many visitors only spend a day or two in the city before embarking on a cruise ship. Since the Old San Juan area is fairly small and easy to get around, a few hours will no doubt allow you to hit some of the city's major attractions. However, the San Juan area does have a lot to offer to visitors who are lucky enough to be staying for a longer period - we couldn't even fit it all into 5 days! In the end, on top of visiting Old San Juan and relaxing by the pool, we decided to go hiking in the El Yunque rainforest, we went kayaking at night in the bioluminescent bay of Fajardo, and we visited the Bacardi rum factory. We left the island thinking that we could not have picked a better spot for a quick escape from our Canadian winter!
- Pros:The weather, history, culture, architecture, nature & food!
- Cons:Many really, really bad drivers
- In a nutshell:A surprisingly great Caribbean experience!
I guess the Centro de Estudios Avanzados de Puerto Rico y El Caribe isn't really a tourist attraction, but if you happen... more travel advice
The main reason why people will take the Cataño ferry from San Juan is to visit the Bacardi factory, but since tickets... more travel advice
- See All Fast and Furious, Caribbean style?!
- Coffee at a cigar shop?!
- Nightlife in the Condado area
Jefie's Related Pages
San Juan Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "La Ciudad del Encanto"
- "BLUE WATERS, WHITE SAND AND TONS OF HISTORY,"
- "San Juan"
- "Jumping Around San Juan, Puerto Rico!"
- "San Juan, Puerto Rico"
- "Castille de San Fillipe del Morro"
- "Historic San Juan"
- See All...
- Things to Do in San Juan
- Hotels in San Juan
- Transportation in San Juan
- Nightlife in San Juan
- Restaurants in San Juan
- Shopping in San Juan
- Warnings and Dangers in San Juan
- See All...
Badges & Stats in San Juan
- 39 Reviews
- 120 Photos
- 19 Forum posts
- 14 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (66)
Have you been to San Juan?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in San Juan
- Posted in Travel Quebec Forum "Re: Use of English outside of the..."
- Wrote a Review Centro de Estudios Avanzados in San Juan Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Centro de Estudios Avanzados"
- created a San Juan Travelogue "The beautiful streets of Old San Juan"
- Commented on one of Dabs's San Juan travel pages
Photos in San JuanSee All Photos (120)
Top 10 Pages
- Rome Intro, 60 reviews, 243 photos
- Vienna Intro, 69 reviews, 218 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quebec Intro, 97 reviews, 190 photos
- New York City Intro, 74 reviews, 211 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pays de la Loire Intro, 61 reviews, 218 photos
- Paris Intro, 71 reviews, 195 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Caye Caulker Intro, 53 reviews, 188 photos, 3 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 59 reviews, 178 photos
- Prague Intro, 53 reviews, 183 photos
- Budapest Intro, 56 reviews, 178 photos