"Welcome to my travelogs" mskwan's Profile
Antarctica - millions of penguins with no human in sight except us - 49 tourists. It was a good decision to travel to Antarctica on a small boat dispite the rock'n'rolling crossing the Drake Passage. Even with the few of us, our presence have created obvious disruptions in wildlife behavior.
I went to Patagonia because of the infamous Torres del Paine in Chile but ended up falling in love with Mt. Fitz Roy in the Argentine Patagonia. The hike up to Lago de los Tres was excellent. Mind you that this pasted up panorama picture doesn't do justice to the real thing. The last 2.5 km on this 13 km one way trek was badly eroded which make hiking without trekking pole rather slow and exhausting. However, the sights waiting at the other end was well worth the effort.
At the Singing Sand Dune near DunHuang in China, you can hire a guide and camels to do a variety of cutomized trip across the desert, even all the way to Kashgar. One of the best option is an early morning ride from Singing Sand Dune to Mogao Caves, hang around the caves, then return in late afternoon to avoid the heat.
A Tibetan sand mandala takes days to weeks to complete. At its closing ceremony, the mandala will be destoryed by sweeping the sand away symbolizing impermanence. I was very fortunate to have witnessed such event in 2003 in Los Angeles. Click here to see my road trip from Kathmando to Lhasa.
Just got out of the plane in Kathmandu, Nepal, took a crazy taxi ride into Thamel, there he was - a snake charmer surrounded by tourists and locals. Wow!!! What a way to start a great journey. Click here to see and read about our Everest trek.
The flight over the Himalayas from Lhasa to Kathmandu is surreal. The mountains stood right on top of the clouds like some mythical landscape described in a great legend. We were so close to the peaks that we can see the glaciers and rivers or ?climbers?
One of my favourite mountain places is Lake O'Hara of the Yoho National Park in the Canadian Rockies. Using Elizabeth Parker Hut as my base, I can do a number of beautiful day hikes/skies into the surrounding area with a warm bed and a well equipped kitchen to return to every evening. Since the park limit the number of visitors in this region, you can enjoy the whole place without the crowd. If you really missed the creature comfort of the modern world, there's always the very expensive Lake O'Hara Lodge nearby with an excellent afternoon tea and almost every luxury you want.
Top Travel Pages
Share your travels with the world!Join Now!
Badges & Stats
- 83 Reviews
- 442 Photos
- 6 Countries
- 13 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
- Uploaded a Photo to "Incredible India"
- created a India Travel Page "Incredible India"
- Posted in Travel Alaska Forum "Re: Alaska Marine Highway"
- Commented on one of MTrav's Yukon Territory travel pages
updated their Personal Page "Trekking the Khumbu in Nepal"
- Wrote a Review Natural Swimming Hole in Guam Off The Beaten Path
Top 10 Pages
- Beijing Intro, 9 reviews, 49 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pingyao Intro, 4 reviews, 43 photos, 5 travelogues
- Guam Intro, 14 reviews, 29 photos, 1 travelogue
- Tibet Intro, 33 photos, 4 travelogues
- Lhasa Intro, 2 reviews, 30 photos, 4 travelogues
- Yangshuo Intro, 3 reviews, 18 photos, 2 travelogues
- Sanjiang Intro, 5 reviews, 15 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Leshan Intro, 3 reviews, 14 photos, 1 travelogue
- Daju Intro, 4 reviews, 13 photos, 1 travelogue
- California Intro, 6 reviews, 9 photos
No friends yet.
- Paris Hotels
- 22160 Reviews - 53864 Photos
- Orlando Hotels
- 3078 Reviews - 5774 Photos
- New York City Hotels
- 15525 Reviews - 30893 Photos
- London Hotels
- 23058 Reviews - 47256 Photos
- Rome Hotels
- 11941 Reviews - 26470 Photos
- Cancún Hotels
- 1927 Reviews - 3713 Photos
- Myrtle Beach Hotels
- 319 Reviews - 425 Photos
- Las Vegas Hotels
- 8346 Reviews - 17013 Photos
- Manila Hotels
- 1905 Reviews - 4448 Photos
- Baguio Hotels
- 325 Reviews - 885 Photos
- Toronto Hotels
- 4270 Reviews - 8783 Photos
- Melbourne Hotels
- 3341 Reviews - 7498 Photos
- Goa Hotels
- 2036 Reviews - 3787 Photos
- Istanbul Hotels
- 7626 Reviews - 19444 Photos
- Panama City Beach Hotels
- 193 Reviews - 288 Photos