"The Rift Valley" Rift Valley Province by Zanzibargirl
Rift Valley Province Travel Guide: 1,274 reviews and 3,983 photos
Africa's Great Rift Valley is a 6,000-mile crack in the earth's crust, stretching from Lebanon to Mozambique. One of its most dramatic sections slices through East Africa, dividing Kenya into two segments. Here in Kenya there is a special view point of the rift valley. Which looks out over the extinct volcanic valley. The Great Rift valley can supposedly be seen from the moon.
The Rift Valley was formed by violent subterranean forces that tore apart the earth's crust. These forces caused huge chunks of the crust to sink between parallel fault lines and force up molten rock in volcanic eruptions. Evidence that this process, called rifting, is still in progress comes from the thirty active and semi-active volcanoes located along the Rift and also provided by the presence of numerous boiling hot springs and a string of alkaline lakes and boiling springs northwest of Nairobi including Lake Baringo, Lake Bogoria, Lake Nakuru, Lake Elementaita, Lake Naivasha, and Lake Magadi in the south. These lakes are unique because their water is highly concentrated sodium carbonate. Essential for those famous pink flamingo!!!
It was dubbed the Great Rift Valley by the Scottish explorer John Walter Gregory and in some places this natural divide is up to 100 km (60 miles) wide, while it reaches its narrowest point just north of Nairobi at 45 km wide.
- Pros:Home of Rift Valley, Eldoret, Nakuru, Naivasha and The Mara
- Cons:Cant think of any...
- In a nutshell:Gateway to Kenya's game reserves and more
Zanzibargirl's Related Pages
Rift Valley Province Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Rift Valley"
- "The rift valley, safari and viewpoints"
- "The Rift Valley"
- "trippingstonefree greatriftvalley"
- "Jumping in Rift Valley Province!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Rift Valley Province
- Hotels in Rift Valley Province
- Transportation in Rift Valley Province
- Nightlife in Rift Valley Province
- Restaurants in Rift Valley Province
- Shopping in Rift Valley Province
- Warnings and Dangers in Rift Valley Province
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Rift Valley Province
- 12 Reviews
- 103 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (12)
Have you been to Rift Valley Province?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Rift Valley Province
Photos in Rift Valley ProvinceSee All Photos (103)
Top 10 Pages
- Sydney Intro, 28 reviews, 77 photos, 5 travelogues
- Darwin Intro, 33 reviews, 64 photos, 4 travelogues
- Uluru National Park (Ayers Rock) Intro, 4 reviews, 62 photos, 5 travelogues
- Africa Intro, 11 reviews, 53 photos, 5 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 13 reviews, 51 photos, 5 travelogues
- Kakadu National Park Intro, 10 reviews, 53 photos, 5 travelogues
- Rio de Janeiro Intro, 13 reviews, 44 photos
- Zanzibar Island Intro, 7 reviews, 49 photos, 5 travelogues
- Lake Nakuru National Park Intro, 4 reviews, 45 photos, 5 travelogues
- Ngorongoro Intro, 3 reviews, 46 photos, 5 travelogues