"The Mgahinga Finger!" Mgahinga Gorilla National Park by Zanzibargirl

The Pick Of the Crop!

This is a photo sent to me from a friend who took it when we went on our gorilla trekking expedition in Mgahinga Gorilla national park. It is so cool and so funny. The gorillas as you can see were very active during our 1 hour sitting. On a given day, only 6 people in the world can go and see each family in the park buying a permit that costs about 300 to 400 odd us. or more dependent. But it was so worth it to say that I was one of only 6 to see 9 out of a family of 12 in only 600 gorillas left in the wild today. Now that just has got to make you feel unique and special. This little guy truely was unique!!!

Mgahinga National park is 34 square kilometres of part of the Virunga Conservation Area, which includes Parc Nacional des Volcans in Rwanda and Parc National des Virunga in the Congo. The area is home to half of the worlds wild mountain gorilla's, the other half living in Bwindi National Park.

You can book to see the gorilla's with the Ugandan Wildlife Authority. They have offices in Kisoro, the town which is the base camp before the gorilla's, or also in Kampale.

The area became National park in 1991 and it includes parts of Muhavura, Mgahinga and Sabino Volcanic Mountains.

Other than the famous Gorilla's in the mist, the park is also home to a variety of other wildlife, such as Colobus Monkey, Jackal, Porcupine, Golden Cat, HoneyBadger, Duiker, Aardvark, Elephant, golden monkey, leopard, giant forest hog, bushbuck, buffalo and a wealth of birdlife.

The money that is raised from tourists trekking the gorillas is highly important to the sustainabilty of the area and much of which goes towards protecting the gorilla's from disease, extinction and research.

Trekking the mountain gorilla's would have to be one of the most amazing highlites of my life. It was absolutely incredible. I remember being at the point where my emotions were impossible to control. I couldn't keep the smile of my face, happy tears stung my eyes and I could feel my heart racing with excitement as I watched in amazement as the gorilla's allowed us to join them in their home. I will never forget it!

• Pros:GORILLA trekking AMAAAAAZZZIIIINNG
  • Cons:I got stinging nettled
  • In a nutshell:One of the biggest highlights of my life!
  • Last visit to Mgahinga Gorilla National Park: Feb 2004
  • Intro Updated Jan 14, 2005

• hindu1936's Profile Photo
    Apr 12, 2006 at 9:03 PM

• LuisGuimaraes's Profile Photo
    Apr 2, 2006 at 4:58 PM

I understand the feelings you describe. waht an experience! this park is on my travel list for ages!

• spoed's Profile Photo
    Jan 16, 2005 at 11:45 AM

your page is better to my very nice photo claudio now from senegal

• Waxbag's Profile Photo
    Nov 23, 2004 at 12:03 PM

Thanks for the great gorilla info. Great photo of the nose picker! John

• grets's Profile Photo
    Oct 19, 2004 at 11:54 AM

Such an amazing experience, such a unique privilige! Love the photo of the gorilla picking his nose!

• K.Knight's Profile Photo
    Sep 9, 2004 at 8:13 PM

That would make a great advet for Kentucky fried chicken....and more tasty!!! So how did you get your tour guide to sit so still while you took his picture...HeHeHeHe.

Zanzibargirl

“Look, Laugh, Listen, Love, Live, Learn”

Badges & Stats in Mgahinga Gorilla National Park

Have you been to Mgahinga Gorilla National Park?

Latest Activity in Mgahinga Gorilla National Park