"The Mgahinga Finger!" Mgahinga Gorilla National Park by Zanzibargirl
Mgahinga Gorilla National Park Travel Guide: 9 reviews and 40 photos
This is a photo sent to me from a friend who took it when we went on our gorilla trekking expedition in Mgahinga Gorilla national park. It is so cool and so funny. The gorillas as you can see were very active during our 1 hour sitting. On a given day, only 6 people in the world can go and see each family in the park buying a permit that costs about 300 to 400 odd us. or more dependent. But it was so worth it to say that I was one of only 6 to see 9 out of a family of 12 in only 600 gorillas left in the wild today. Now that just has got to make you feel unique and special. This little guy truely was unique!!!
Mgahinga National park is 34 square kilometres of part of the Virunga Conservation Area, which includes Parc Nacional des Volcans in Rwanda and Parc National des Virunga in the Congo. The area is home to half of the worlds wild mountain gorilla's, the other half living in Bwindi National Park.
You can book to see the gorilla's with the Ugandan Wildlife Authority. They have offices in Kisoro, the town which is the base camp before the gorilla's, or also in Kampale.
The area became National park in 1991 and it includes parts of Muhavura, Mgahinga and Sabino Volcanic Mountains.
Other than the famous Gorilla's in the mist, the park is also home to a variety of other wildlife, such as Colobus Monkey, Jackal, Porcupine, Golden Cat, HoneyBadger, Duiker, Aardvark, Elephant, golden monkey, leopard, giant forest hog, bushbuck, buffalo and a wealth of birdlife.
The money that is raised from tourists trekking the gorillas is highly important to the sustainabilty of the area and much of which goes towards protecting the gorilla's from disease, extinction and research.
Trekking the mountain gorilla's would have to be one of the most amazing highlites of my life. It was absolutely incredible. I remember being at the point where my emotions were impossible to control. I couldn't keep the smile of my face, happy tears stung my eyes and I could feel my heart racing with excitement as I watched in amazement as the gorilla's allowed us to join them in their home. I will never forget it!
- Pros:GORILLA trekking AMAAAAAZZZIIIINNG
- Cons:I got stinging nettled
- In a nutshell:One of the biggest highlights of my life!
Written Dec 21, 2004
Blurry Gorilla Shots
Written Dec 21, 2004
Blurry Gorilla Shots 2
Zanzibargirl's Related Pages
Mgahinga Gorilla National Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Mgahinga National Park: volcanoes & gorillas"
- "The Mgahinga Finger!"
- "Hanging out with the Silver Backs"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mgahinga Gorilla National Park
- Hotels in Mgahinga Gorilla National Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Mgahinga Gorilla National Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Mgahinga Gorilla National Park
- 1 Reviews
- 20 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Mgahinga Gorilla National Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mgahinga Gorilla National Park
Photos in Mgahinga Gorilla National ParkSee All Photos (20)
Top 10 Pages
- Sydney Intro, 28 reviews, 77 photos, 5 travelogues
- Darwin Intro, 33 reviews, 64 photos, 4 travelogues
- Uluru National Park (Ayers Rock) Intro, 4 reviews, 62 photos, 5 travelogues
- Africa Intro, 11 reviews, 53 photos, 5 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 13 reviews, 51 photos, 5 travelogues
- Kakadu National Park Intro, 10 reviews, 53 photos, 5 travelogues
- Rio de Janeiro Intro, 13 reviews, 44 photos
- Zanzibar Island Intro, 7 reviews, 49 photos, 5 travelogues
- Lake Nakuru National Park Intro, 4 reviews, 45 photos, 5 travelogues
- Ngorongoro Intro, 3 reviews, 46 photos, 5 travelogues