"Lake Bunyonyi" Lake Bunyonyi by Zanzibargirl

Lake Bunyonyi Travel Guide: 16 reviews and 67 photos

Place of Little Birds

Lake Bunyonyi, which means "Place of Little Birds" is one of the most scenic beautiful places I have ever seen in all of my travels. The place is absolutely serene. We pulled up here very very late at night into our campsite at Bunyonyi Overland Camp, and it was dark when we pitched our tents so we had no idea of the vista that was to awaken us the next morning.

The sun rose to the twittering of those little Weaver birds, I unzipped my tent and the view that is captured in the phot above is what I was awoken to. Perfect reflections of the agricultural hills that dip down into the deepers (900m) crater lake.

Lake Bunyonyi Overland camp would have to be the best campsite anywhere in the world. Great vistas, visit the nearby markets, take a dip, go out on a canoe on the water and not a bad place to base yourself before heading up to Kisoro and then to the Gorilla's.

The camps facilities are world class, cheap camping or if you fancy other accomodations, cottages and furnished tents available.

From our vista laying back whilst cooking on our campfire stove overlooking this water, the hills sing with the voices of the school children at the schools on the hill above and across the waters. A highlight was visiting one of these schools, getting the grand tour from the schools head principal, and for a donation the children performed an african dance that they actually do in competion with the other schools.

Lake Bunyonyi is heaven and probably one of my favourite places on earth.

• Pros:Aaaah, the serenity
  • Cons:heaven has no con's
  • In a nutshell:Heaven on earth
  • Last visit to Lake Bunyonyi: Feb 2004
  • Intro Updated Jan 11, 2005

Zanzibargirl

“Look, Laugh, Listen, Love, Live, Learn”

Badges & Stats in Lake Bunyonyi

Have you been to Lake Bunyonyi?

Latest Activity in Lake Bunyonyi