"Chimpanzee Island" Ngamba Island by Zanzibargirl
Ngamba Island Travel Guide: 35 reviews and 129 photos
Ngamba Island, or as it is also known "Chimpanzee Island" is a 100 acre sanctuary that was established for orphaned chimps in 1998.
Its located approximately 23 km's from Entebbe by boat across Lake Victoria. The rainforest on the island not only supports Chimpanzees but also It supports other natural wildlife, including over 120 species of bird, hippos, a crocodile and monitor lizards. The island provides a variety of natural foods for the chimpanzees.
There are 11 am and 2:30 pm feedings of the chimps and you will get a good glimpse of them up close.
You can also stay on the island should you wish. Though we didn't do this, there is some really luxurious set up camps.
- Pros:The chimps
- Cons:that the chimps parents were poached in the first place... and that they are not in the wild
- In a nutshell:The most natural home possible for the chimps and completely environmentally aware
Ngamba Island is home to these chimps, orphaned due to poaching (approximately 5000 are killed each year) the young were... more travel advice
Zanzibargirl's Related Pages
Ngamba Island Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Ngamba Island Chimpanzee Sanctuary"
- "MONKEY BUSINESS"
- "Ngamba Island Chimp Sanctuary"
- "Chimpanzee Island"
- "Chimp Sanctuary"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ngamba Island
- Hotels in Ngamba Island
- Transportation in Ngamba Island
- Restaurants in Ngamba Island
- Warnings and Dangers in Ngamba Island
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ngamba Island
- 3 Reviews
- 17 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (12)
Have you been to Ngamba Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ngamba Island
Photos in Ngamba IslandSee All Photos (17)
Top 10 Pages
- Sydney Intro, 28 reviews, 77 photos, 5 travelogues
- Darwin Intro, 33 reviews, 64 photos, 4 travelogues
- Uluru National Park (Ayers Rock) Intro, 4 reviews, 62 photos, 5 travelogues
- Africa Intro, 11 reviews, 53 photos, 5 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 13 reviews, 51 photos, 5 travelogues
- Kakadu National Park Intro, 10 reviews, 53 photos, 5 travelogues
- Rio de Janeiro Intro, 13 reviews, 44 photos
- Zanzibar Island Intro, 7 reviews, 49 photos, 5 travelogues
- Lake Nakuru National Park Intro, 4 reviews, 45 photos, 5 travelogues
- Ngorongoro Intro, 3 reviews, 46 photos, 5 travelogues