"'Haven Of Peace' - Dar Es Salaam" Dar es Salaam by Zanzibargirl
Dar es Salaam Travel Guide: 158 reviews and 346 photos
Dar Es Salaam or 'Haven of Peace' which this stands for was first a fishing village in the mid-19th century when the Sultan of Zanzibar turned its inland creek into a harbour port for trading.
"Dar" as it is affectionately known ws once the capital in 1891 under German Colonial authorities. But now it is the capital in everything but name, as Dodoma became the official capital in 1974.
Gateway to the game parks and the Islands of Zanzibar and Pemba, Dar Es Salaam is a lovely city. However it has a humidity and fish smell that leaves something to be desired, especially after being wiped out cold with a stomach bug for a day.
It does have a rather awesome Icecreamery, some pretty cool shopping, important internet, and nearby we stayed a short ferry ride away on one of the coastal beaches (see pic) which was where the real haven of peace began - just outside the city... My smiles returned as my stomach subsided in these outskirt beaches and I relaxed by the pool and in a game of Water Volleyball.... now that is the life....
- Pros:The peace of the beaches outside the city
- Cons:Would have liked to see more of the city, even inspite the fish smells and mosquito's
- In a nutshell:A real haven of peace
Written Jun 30, 2010
Dar Es Salaam Email
Written Dec 29, 2004
Beach Shots near Dar
Zanzibargirl's Related Pages
Dar es Salaam Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "My first taste of Africa"
- "Me, Dar and the Indian Ocean"
- "Dar es Salaam, Tanzania"
- "Dar Es Salaam - Haven of Peace"
- "Dar es Salaam"
- "Capital of the country with vast safari parks."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Dar es Salaam
- Hotels in Dar es Salaam
- Transportation in Dar es Salaam
- Nightlife in Dar es Salaam
- Restaurants in Dar es Salaam
- Shopping in Dar es Salaam
- Warnings and Dangers in Dar es Salaam
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Dar es Salaam
- 0 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Dar es Salaam?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Dar es Salaam
Photos in Dar es SalaamSee All Photos (6)
Top 10 Pages
- Sydney Intro, 28 reviews, 77 photos, 5 travelogues
- Darwin Intro, 33 reviews, 64 photos, 4 travelogues
- Uluru National Park (Ayers Rock) Intro, 4 reviews, 62 photos, 5 travelogues
- Africa Intro, 11 reviews, 53 photos, 5 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 13 reviews, 51 photos, 5 travelogues
- Kakadu National Park Intro, 10 reviews, 53 photos, 5 travelogues
- Rio de Janeiro Intro, 13 reviews, 44 photos
- Zanzibar Island Intro, 7 reviews, 49 photos, 5 travelogues
- Lake Nakuru National Park Intro, 4 reviews, 45 photos, 5 travelogues
- Ngorongoro Intro, 3 reviews, 46 photos, 5 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (15)
Latest Dar es Salaam hotel reviews
- Coral Beach Hotel
- 123 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 1, 2013
- Hotel Sea Cliff
- 139 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 17, 2013
- Kilimanjaro Hotel Kempinski
- 185 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 21, 2013
- Moevenpick Royal Palm Hotel Dar es Salaam
- 162 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 7, 2013
- Southern Sun Dar Es Salaam
- 194 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 16, 2013
- Peacock Millennium Towers Hotel
- 6 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 29, 2010
- Protea Hotel Oysterbay Dar Es Salaam
- 24 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 8, 2013
- New Africa Hotel
- 176 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 20, 2013