"Mikumi National Park" Mikumi National Park by Zanzibargirl
Mikumi National Park Travel Guide: 22 reviews and 105 photos
The third largest National park in Tanzania, the park strides the highway that links Dar Es Salaam to Mbeya. It covers 3230 square kilometres, and as traffic flows the highway, there is lots of wildlife to see which quite often results in traffic having to give way. Because of the highway, this makes it extremely accessible, as if you are driving down this road, as we were, you cant not drive through it.
It was gazetted as National Park in August 1964 and was named after a town on its western border "Mikumi". The park gate is 96 km from Morogoro along the Tanzania - Zambia Highway, 288 km from Dar es Salaam, 216 km from Iringa and 80 km to Udzungwa National Park.
Somewhere along the highway as we travelled towards Zambia about midway we watched several giraffe and the most incredible thing was the elephants that held trunks in a bond. It was amazing... I couldn't believe I got to witness something so cool... Sweet and amazing!
- Pros:Highway safari
- Cons:cant slow down
- In a nutshell:Animals on the roadside hugging
Zanzibargirl's Related Pages
Mikumi National Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Free game viewing"
- "True wilderness"
- "Mzuri-Sanas' of Mikumi"
- "Mikumi National Park"
- "Elephants on the Highway!"
- "very lively wild safari drive"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mikumi National Park
- Hotels in Mikumi National Park
- Nightlife in Mikumi National Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Mikumi National Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Mikumi National Park
- 0 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (12)
Have you been to Mikumi National Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mikumi National Park
Photos in Mikumi National ParkSee All Photos (10)
Top 10 Pages
- Sydney Intro, 28 reviews, 77 photos, 5 travelogues
- Darwin Intro, 33 reviews, 64 photos, 4 travelogues
- Uluru National Park (Ayers Rock) Intro, 4 reviews, 62 photos, 5 travelogues
- Africa Intro, 11 reviews, 53 photos, 5 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 13 reviews, 51 photos, 5 travelogues
- Kakadu National Park Intro, 10 reviews, 53 photos, 5 travelogues
- Rio de Janeiro Intro, 13 reviews, 44 photos
- Zanzibar Island Intro, 7 reviews, 49 photos, 5 travelogues
- Lake Nakuru National Park Intro, 4 reviews, 45 photos, 5 travelogues
- Ngorongoro Intro, 3 reviews, 46 photos, 5 travelogues