"Lake Naivasha" Lake Naivasha by Zanzibargirl
Lake Naivasha Travel Guide: 82 reviews and 256 photos
One of the Rift Valley's freshwater lakes, Lake Naivasha is home to a variety of bird species and notably lots of hippo which liked to invade our campsite on the shores of this lake (see my travellog - Victors Lawn Mowing).
On the edge of this lake is also home to Elsamere Conservation Centre, the former home 'Elsamere' of Joy Adamson who wrote the story of her work with the Lion Elsa called 'Born Free' which later became a movie of the same title. Another nearby attraction is Hells Gate National Park in wich you can see by foot, cycle or vehicle (one of the only national parks you can walk around) Zebra, Thompsons Gazelle, Baboon, Warthog, and if you are lucky cheetah or leopard.
The lake is almost 13kms across, but its waters are shallow with an average depth of five metres. At 1880 metres above sea level it is the highest of the Rift Valleys lakes. Lake Naivasha is unusual in having no known outlet which is normally a prerequisite for a freshwater lake.
I would have to say that staying in Lake Naivasha was truely beautiful, refreshing and though I would have liked to have visited the Crater Lakes instead of cycling in humid Hells Gate for 14 k's on a bike in gravel with bad tyres, I will always remember the few days spent here, and the site of hippo's so close will forever be a tale to tell!
- Pros:Camping with hippo's
- Cons:Camping with hippo's!
- In a nutshell:Home to the hippo's
Hells Gate National Park is worth seeing. However, the reason I placed it here is the fact that I chose to do it on a... more travel advice
Zanzibargirl's Related Pages
Lake Naivasha Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Hell's Gate and other-worldly experiences ..."
- "Lake Naivasha"
- "Lake Naivasha National Park."
- "Bird watching at Lake Naivasha"
- "Lake Naivasha"
- "Victors Mowing"
- "Lake Naivasha - Another Jewell in Kenyas crown."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Lake Naivasha
- Hotels in Lake Naivasha
- Nightlife in Lake Naivasha
- Warnings and Dangers in Lake Naivasha
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Lake Naivasha
- 3 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Lake Naivasha?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lake Naivasha
Photos in Lake NaivashaSee All Photos (10)
Top 10 Pages
- Sydney Intro, 28 reviews, 77 photos, 5 travelogues
- Darwin Intro, 33 reviews, 64 photos, 4 travelogues
- Uluru National Park (Ayers Rock) Intro, 4 reviews, 62 photos, 5 travelogues
- Africa Intro, 11 reviews, 53 photos, 5 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 13 reviews, 51 photos, 5 travelogues
- Kakadu National Park Intro, 10 reviews, 53 photos, 5 travelogues
- Rio de Janeiro Intro, 13 reviews, 44 photos
- Zanzibar Island Intro, 7 reviews, 49 photos, 5 travelogues
- Lake Nakuru National Park Intro, 4 reviews, 45 photos, 5 travelogues
- Ngorongoro Intro, 3 reviews, 46 photos, 5 travelogues