"A town Like Alice" Alice Springs by Zanzibargirl
Alice Springs Travel Guide: 391 reviews and 1,233 photos
Alice Springs is the gateway to the Red Centre, the centre of Australia, the middle of no where. It has been home to the Arrernte Aboriginal tribal group for 20,000 years.
Alice Springs is the last effort of civilisation before you head outback to see the sites of central Australia and the town is thriving and exists mostly due to the tourism in the area.
A film was made about the town in the tale 1956 classic "A Town Like Alice".
The original town was formed 3 km south as a telegraph station and was named after the springs near by and Charles Todds wife Alice. The town that is officially Alice springs was called Stuart, but in 1933 was officially changed to Alice springs.
Sites in the area to see include the old telegraph station, the Royal Flying doctors service, School of the Air, The Reptile Centre, Adelaide House, Old Stuart Town Gaol, Anzac Hill and the Central Australian Aviation Museum.
Alice Springs is certainly something different. With fantastic year round temperatures and having all you need to it is the pit stop before entering the red centre and the last frontier.
- Pros:Cool place, lots of fun had....
- Cons:I am still curious about this place
- In a nutshell:so much left here undiscovered
Zanzibargirl's Related Pages
Alice Springs Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Base for 2010 VT Survivor Camp and Meet"
- "Rolling, rolling, rolling on the river......"
- "Alice Springs - not just in the middle of Nowhere"
- "Road trip Alice Springs to Uluru"
- "Jewel in the crown"
- "IMPREXXION: ALICE SPRINGS"
- "Welcome to The Alice"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Alice Springs
- Hotels in Alice Springs
- Transportation in Alice Springs
- Nightlife in Alice Springs
- Restaurants in Alice Springs
- Shopping in Alice Springs
- Warnings and Dangers in Alice Springs
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Alice Springs
- 1 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Alice Springs?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Alice Springs
Photos in Alice SpringsSee All Photos (9)
Top 10 Pages
- Sydney Intro, 28 reviews, 77 photos, 5 travelogues
- Darwin Intro, 33 reviews, 64 photos, 4 travelogues
- Uluru National Park (Ayers Rock) Intro, 4 reviews, 62 photos, 5 travelogues
- Africa Intro, 11 reviews, 53 photos, 5 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 13 reviews, 51 photos, 5 travelogues
- Kakadu National Park Intro, 10 reviews, 53 photos, 5 travelogues
- Rio de Janeiro Intro, 13 reviews, 44 photos
- Zanzibar Island Intro, 7 reviews, 49 photos, 5 travelogues
- Lake Nakuru National Park Intro, 4 reviews, 45 photos, 5 travelogues
- Ngorongoro Intro, 3 reviews, 46 photos, 5 travelogues