"Katherine - Cross Roads of the North" Katherine by Zanzibargirl
Katherine Travel Guide: 72 reviews and 324 photos
Katherine, located 317 km south of Darwin on the Stuart Highway is one of the territory's larger towns (the 3rd Largest). With a population of 11 000 people it is the gateway to the spectagular Katherine Gorge.
Also referred to as the 'Crossroads of the North' the first people to the area were the indegenous Jawoyn & Dagomen people. The first European to pass through the country was Ludwig Leichhardt in 1844 but it was John McDouall Stewart who named the river "Katherine" after the second daughter of James Chambers in 1862.
The town was settled by Europeans with the completion of the Overland Telegraph line at Knott's crossing, & has moved twice until finally establishing in its current location. The town boast all the moder facilities & services & draws many tourists every year mainly of course to see the gorge.
Nitmiluk National Park (Katherine Gorge's Aboriginal name is Nitmiluk) is located 29km from Katherine & consists of thirteen natural gorges carved through sandstone by the river. You can hire a canoe or take a boat cruise through the gorge. There is also a croc safe swimming hole for a cool off in the territory heat. Scenic flights are available over the area or even fixed wing. The park has over 100 km of marked walking trails which lead to lookouts and falls.
Other spectacular sights & things to do in the area surrounding Katherine include Leliyn (Edith Falls), Cutta Cutta Caves, Flora River Nature Park, Katherine Hot Springs, Katherine Museum. O'Keeffe House, The Railway Station Museum and Springvale Homestead.
The most spectacur & visited sight of course is the Gorge itself. Its simply gorgeous (can't help the pun) and well worth a stop. One of the most amazingly beautiful things that you can see in the territory, and smack bang in a state in the middle of nowhere. Thats one of the things I love most about the territory. Its so vast & open. And every now and then you come along these amazing massive sights of nature that blow your mind. Well worth the drive!
- Pros:Close to Katherine Gorge, and a good spot to pick up beer!
- Cons:Small town, middle of nowhere
- In a nutshell:Katherine Gorge is gorgeous!
Zanzibargirl's Related Pages
Katherine Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Katherine and the Gorge"
- "Katherine - Gorgeous Gorges!"
- "Katherine and Nitmiluk"
- "Katherine But Not the Gorge"
- "Katherine Gorge"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Katherine
- Hotels in Katherine
- Transportation in Katherine
- Restaurants in Katherine
- Shopping in Katherine
- Warnings and Dangers in Katherine
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Katherine
- 1 Reviews
- 37 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Katherine?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Katherine
Photos in KatherineSee All Photos (37)
Top 10 Pages
- Sydney Intro, 28 reviews, 77 photos, 5 travelogues
- Darwin Intro, 33 reviews, 64 photos, 4 travelogues
- Uluru National Park (Ayers Rock) Intro, 4 reviews, 62 photos, 5 travelogues
- Africa Intro, 11 reviews, 53 photos, 5 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 13 reviews, 51 photos, 5 travelogues
- Kakadu National Park Intro, 10 reviews, 53 photos, 5 travelogues
- Rio de Janeiro Intro, 13 reviews, 44 photos
- Zanzibar Island Intro, 7 reviews, 49 photos, 5 travelogues
- Lake Nakuru National Park Intro, 4 reviews, 45 photos, 5 travelogues
- Ngorongoro Intro, 3 reviews, 46 photos, 5 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (15)
Latest Katherine hotel reviews
- All Seasons Katherine (Former Mercure Inn)
- 128 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 21, 2013
- Red Gum Tourist Park
- 1 Review & Opinion
Latest: Aug 26, 2013
- Beagle Motor Inn
- 86 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 24, 2013
- BIG 4 Katherine Low Level Caravan Park
- 62 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 14, 2013
- Best Western Pine Tree Motel
- 63 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 16, 2013
- Kookaburra Backpackers Lodge
- 4 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 16, 2010