"Mataranka Thermal Pools" Mataranka by Zanzibargirl
Mataranka Travel Guide: 56 reviews and 295 photos
An hours drive south east of Katherine lies the lush tropical site of Mataranka Springs and the beautiful lush tropical thermal pools. Much like a desert oasis this place really is a sight for sore eyes in the heat of the Northern Territory outback.
I kind of felt like I was seeing things. Discovering this amazing pool in the small township made famous by the book 'We of the Never never' by Jeannie Gunn written in 1908. The pools are located nearby Elsey Station where this inspiring woman lived in a world filled with cattle farms & men in a very different time. Its hard to believe the springs even exist out here, let alone that a woman would want to live out here in the middle of the never never. The middle of nowhere. When they were first discovered the natural springs now somewhat less natural by the pool wall entrance that has been made from tourists must have been really some sight to see.
Closing my eyes I was imagining the path of both Jeannie Gunn into this world as I waded in the pool, and thinking of my grandparents, who had also previous visited these pools in their travels during there amazing years. It is very inspiring to visit such a place in the middle of nowhere where such an incredible womens story took place & to also follow the footsteps of my family.
The splashes of tourists bring the pool to life a little, but it is still lovely and soothing to soak in the warm springs on a summer day in the tropical surrounds.
The Mataranka Pool is fed by spring water from the Daly and Georgina basins at a volume of 30.5 million litres per day. It is surrounded by a palm forest and maintains a constant temperature of 34 degrees, making it an ideal place to relax, swim or camp overnight.
If you are going to go for a trip down the highway between Darwin & Alice springs, this really is the place to stop, rub your eyes, look at the tropical trees and water and pinch yourself. Because this Oasis is for real, it is amazing, and well worth a dip!
- Pros:Ultimately refreshing
- Cons:seems less natural and more swimming pool like now
- In a nutshell:Georgeous, refreshing, ultimately perfect out in the heat of NT...
Zanzibargirl's Related Pages
Mataranka Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Elsey Thermal Pools and Mataranka Homestead Resort"
- "Mataranka - Home of Beautiful Thermal Pools"
- "Mataranka - somewhere between here and there"
- "MATARANKA HOMESTEAD"
- "Mataranka Thermal Pools"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mataranka
- Hotels in Mataranka
- Restaurants in Mataranka
- Warnings and Dangers in Mataranka
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Mataranka
- 1 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Mataranka?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mataranka
Photos in MatarankaSee All Photos (4)
Top 10 Pages
- Sydney Intro, 28 reviews, 77 photos, 5 travelogues
- Darwin Intro, 33 reviews, 64 photos, 4 travelogues
- Uluru National Park (Ayers Rock) Intro, 4 reviews, 62 photos, 5 travelogues
- Africa Intro, 11 reviews, 53 photos, 5 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 13 reviews, 51 photos, 5 travelogues
- Kakadu National Park Intro, 10 reviews, 53 photos, 5 travelogues
- Rio de Janeiro Intro, 13 reviews, 44 photos
- Zanzibar Island Intro, 7 reviews, 49 photos, 5 travelogues
- Lake Nakuru National Park Intro, 4 reviews, 45 photos, 5 travelogues
- Ngorongoro Intro, 3 reviews, 46 photos, 5 travelogues