"Amantani Island" Isla Amantani by Zanzibargirl
Isla Amantani Travel Guide: 25 reviews and 61 photos
Amantani Island is one of the lesser visited islands located on Lake Titicaca. Its people known as Aimara are dedicated to agriculture around its main town of Amantani. However these days farming is not as necessary as previously for survival since tourism is on the increase as people come here for the chance to stay with a local family. Many families of the island have opened their homes to visitors and tourists who pay to stay and see how they live.
The adobes are very comfy and more than adequate sleeping quaters for the night, plus a great chance to try and get to know some of the locals. They will prepare meals for you and show you up to the main square for a game of soccer at an altitude of 4000 feet (you will be puffing!) and to the summit point which boasts the ruins of a temple to Pacha Mama. Take in a sunset from the top as its a wonderful view. You can circle the temple three times at the top for a wish.
By night families dress their visitors up in local attire and you wear your costume to the town hall for the "Inca Disco". Peruvian folk music is played by a band with flutes and drums and they will teach you some of the traditional dances that they enjoy on the island.
By the end of even just one night you will feel like you have a whole new family as the locals are so welcoming. You form a bond with your "Mama" and "Papa" in such a short time. It really is a rewarding experience so check it out.
- Pros:Immersing into local life, sunset vistas and Inca Disco experience
- Cons:Not a lot of sites really to see on the island, and only 1 night...
- In a nutshell:Home Stay away from Home
A chance to stay with the locals of Amantani is wonderful. It is basic but comfortable. The best part is you will be... more travel advice
Celebrate the stunning vistas of sunset in a place that is built to worship Mother Earth. In Inca mythology, Mama Pacha... more travel advice
Zanzibargirl's Related Pages
Isla Amantani Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Real isolation"
- "Isla Amantani"
- "The sunset... Le coucher de soleil...."
- "Amantani Island"
- "Amantani Island, Peru"
- "Home stay on Isla Amantani"
- "ISLA AMANTANI"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Isla Amantani
- Hotels in Isla Amantani
- Transportation in Isla Amantani
- Nightlife in Isla Amantani
- Restaurants in Isla Amantani
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Isla Amantani
- 5 Reviews
- 27 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Isla Amantani?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Isla Amantani
Photos in Isla AmantaniSee All Photos (27)
Top 10 Pages
- Sydney Intro, 28 reviews, 77 photos, 5 travelogues
- Darwin Intro, 33 reviews, 64 photos, 4 travelogues
- Uluru National Park (Ayers Rock) Intro, 4 reviews, 62 photos, 5 travelogues
- Africa Intro, 11 reviews, 53 photos, 5 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 13 reviews, 51 photos, 5 travelogues
- Kakadu National Park Intro, 10 reviews, 53 photos, 5 travelogues
- Rio de Janeiro Intro, 13 reviews, 44 photos
- Zanzibar Island Intro, 7 reviews, 49 photos, 5 travelogues
- Lake Nakuru National Park Intro, 4 reviews, 45 photos, 5 travelogues
- Ngorongoro Intro, 3 reviews, 46 photos, 5 travelogues