"My eyes are open to a world of opportunities" Zanzibargirl's Profile

So much to see and discover

Seeing the world has really opened my eyes.

Having seen the world through the eyes of people living with different cultures and lifestyles, I have looked beyond the sphere that I live in. This has inspired me to see things for what they truly are and to explore above and beyond to attempt to achieve things in life on much higher levels. Seeing what opportunities I have that other lack encourages me to always put my best foot forward and give things my best shot.

I hope my pictures inspire you as they are only the tip of what is out there for us to all aspire to. So with your eyes, enjoy taking a look at my photos and I hope they inspire you just as much as traveling and life inspires me. The world is a big place. I truly believe that by keeping your ambitions open to enjoy it you will discover yourself. I know I did.

So where have I been?

I've traveled to a long list. So far that lists spans 34 countries and 6 continents.

So far I've been to:

1/ Australia of course as this is where I was born and bred. I was born in Newcastle and grew up in Lake Macquarie. That being the case, I've been to most of coastal and some inland NSW. I've also traveled to Perth and Fremantle in WA, Darwin to the Red Centre and Uluru in NT, QLDs Gold Coast, Brisbane, Fraser Island, Hervey Bay and Whitsunday Islands, Adelaide in SA when I was a kid, Canberra in the ACT, VIC's Melbourne, Ballarat, Bendigo, Halls Gap & the Great Ocean Road
2/ Norfolk Island. This counts as a country on the VT map even though it is part of Australia. I visited Norfolk Island at just thirteen. My first flight over the Pacific and enjoyed Kingston, the beaches, trail riding and surrounds
3/ New Zealand: for work in Auckland and Wellington
4/ The UK: London twice, plus St Albans and driving to Dover
5/ The Netherlands: visiting Amsterdam and Edam
6/ France: Paris, Lyon and Nice
7/ Austria: Innsbruck
8/ Germany: taking a Rhine barge cruise through towns like Sankt Goar and Oberwesel
9/ Belgium: driving through between France and Holland
10/ Italy: Rome, Venice, Pisa and Florence
11/ Vatican City and the amazing Sistine Chapel
12/ Lietchenstein: Vaduz
13/ Monaco: Monaco City and Monte Carlo
14/ Switzerland: Lucerne and Mt Pilatus
15/ Spain: Barcelona and L'Estartit
16/ Kenya: Nairobi, the Masai Mara, Lake Nakuru and Naivasha
17/ Uganda: seeing gorilla's in the wild at Mgahinga National Park, Ngamba Island orphan chimps and rafting the Nile at Jinja
18/ Tanzania: Ngorongoro Crater safari, beautiful Zanzibar Island, Dar Es Salaam and Mikumi National Park
19/ Malawi: Kande and Chitimba Beaches
20/ Zambia: South Luangwa National Park game drives and Livingstone.
21/ Zimbabwe: Victoria Falls
22/ Botswana: seeing Chobe National Park Elephants
23/ South Africa: driving from Johannesburg to Capetown and to the Cape of Good Hope
24/ USA: New York, Miami, Denver, Grand Teton and Yellowstone National Park, Seattle and cruising Alaska
25/ Dominican Republic: Puerta Plata, Santo Domingo and Caberete.
26/ Canada: Victoria, Vancouver, the Rocky Mountains, Niagara Falls, Toronto, Montreal, Ottawa and Quebec City
27/ Argentina: Buenos Aires, La Boca and Parque Nacional del Iguazù.
28/ Brazil: Rio de Janeiro and Foz do Iguaçu
29/ Paraguay: a passport stamp from the border at Ciudad del Este.
30/ Bolivia: La Paz and overland to Lake Titicaca
31/ Peru: The famous Inca Trail, Machu Picchu, Cusco, Lake Titicaca, Arequipa, Huacachina and Lima
32/ Cambodia: Phnom Penh, the Killing Fields of Chueng Ek, Sihanoukville, Siem Reap and Angkor Temples
33/ Thailand: Bangkok, Mae Klong, Floating Markets of Damnoen Saduak, Kanchanaburi, Ayutthaya, Wat Phra Sri Rattana Mahathat near Lopburi, Bang Pa-In, Phitsanulok, Sukhothai, Chiang Mai, Maekhajan Hot Springs, Wat Rong Khun, Chiang Rai, The Golden Triangle, Mae Sai, Koh Samui, Phuket, Phi Phi Islands and James Bond Island

Just the tip Of the iceburg

What I have seen is only just the start. I can't wait to explore more and add to my experiences. As what is the world and life about if not to explore? Here is a list of things I would love to see that I have yet to accomplish.

1/ Back to South America: The Amazon, Argentina, Chile, Patagonia, Santiago, Honduras, The Galapagos Islands, Ecuador, more of Brazil
2/ Antarctica. Pure glacier white ice with blue waters and the animals. I have seen this boat cruise you can do and you can go kayaking. It looks amazing
3/ Vietnam to see some more of Asia, float on Halong Bay and see some of the historical Vietnam war sites
4/ More of Australia, specifically Western Australia, The Kimberly's and Northern tip of Queensland to the Daintree and Cape York. I also want to dive the Great Barrier Reef
5/ Borneo to see the other big ape in the wild, The orangutan. Plus to go diving, see sea turtle hatch and check out the headhunter trail
6/ Greece and the Greek Islands. Athens and those white buildings against azure skies, particularly Santorini
7/ Turkey: Istanbul and Gallipoli. I must do the Anzac Day ceremony one year
8/ Back to Africa to conquer its west, revisit Zanzibar and Morocco as well as Egypt's pyramids
9/ The Netherlands because of my heritage there. I want to see more of the places where my family lived and came from
10/ Jamaica or one of the Caribbean Islands to just lay in the sun and stay in a beautiful place
11/ Back to Italy and Spain in Europe to see more of the luxurious life that I discovered there.
12/ The Grand Canyon, Los Angeles, Las Vegas plus the western coast. The only part of the USA I am interested in left that eludes me.
13/ Japan, to locate my Japanese billet from high school and to see Tokyo, Mount Fuji and to get 'Lost in Translation'.
14/ England, Ireland, Scotland and Wales and the UK in depth. Loch Ness, the Isle Of Skye, castles, moors, Stonehenge, Stratford Apon Avon and more. Plus back to London to actually get to see the Portobello Road markets in action. Maybe the third times a charm?
15/ The Great Wall of China and pandas in the wild for pictures for my mum
16/ New Zealand. I've been there for work, but next time for play
17/ Tibet and the ancient lands of the Dalai Lama
18/ India: to Rathanabore National Park to see tigers in the wild, the Taj Mahal, Rajasthan and to have a 'Bollywood' experience. I would also like to do some volunteer work with kids for a while and relax on the beach at Goa
19/ Finland, Sweden, Denmark and all the Scandinavian countries of Europe.
20/ Moscow and St Petersburg in Russia
21/ Islands of the South Pacific: Vanuatu, New Caledonia and Fiji

The world is your oyster

The world really is your oyster. But you have to be willing to explore everything it has to offer and more. Open your eyes, see the unseen, trek the road less traveled and open up to what is inside the wide depths of this world. Remember, you have to open up the oyster to find the pearl. Open up the world and discover its true beauty.

QUOTES

"To travel is to live and to live is to travel," Danish writer, HC Andersen.

"Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not," Ralph Waldo Emerson.

"Wherever you go, go with all your heart," Confucius.

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page," St Augustine.

"Like all great travelers, I have seen more than I remember, and remember more than I have seen," Benjamin Disraeli.

"I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list," Susan Sontag.

AN OLD IRISH PRAYER

Take time to work
it is the pride of success
Take time to meditate
it is the source of power
Take time to play
it is the source of perpetual youth
Take time to read
it is the source of knowledge
Take time to be friendly
it is the road to happiness
Take time to laugh
it is the music to my soul
And take time to love
and be loved

To my good friend Jane; who showed me this poem and who has shown me the path to venture towards my own personal style and success.

Living to the full

I truly believe in giving my all, living life to the full and putting my best foot forward. I believe in appreciating life and dancing like a child, playing in the rain, and just enjoying the world in which we all live.

What is life if not to enjoy and explore. For those of you who have read my pages you will know it may not always be an easy path, but every road is worth exploring. Chances are worth taking and I believe in looking deep into what is available. There is always a positive in every day and there is always more to give, more to live.

In the past I have traveled to places like Africa and South America. There they have so little, yet the appreciate so much. My life and my travels have taught me to appreciate everything I have got. To go on looking beneath the surface, laughing with a smile, listening with open ears, loving with all that is in me, living every second and learning from every moment.

I love the saying and I've made it a motto of mine, “dance as though no one is watching, love as though you've never been hurt, sing as though no one can hear you, live as though heaven is on earth,” Souza.

Dreams do come true

I believe in achieving my dreams and always aim to do so. I will never give up striving for what it is I enjoy and look for in life. I am lucky to have good friends, family and supporters who have shown me the way thus far.

In 2004 I was lucky enough to achieve a long held dream. From the age of twelve I wanted to go to Lake Louise in Canada. Exactly twelve years later I achieved that dream. This made me realise if you put your mind to it you can do anything you want to.

Life is about pushing your boundaries, breaking free of your own inner restrictions and growing as a person. It is about opening up to experience.

There are so many wonderful people out there and places to see. I am lucky to have seen some of what the world has on offer. I will also always be open to what life has to offer around each corner. It is an amazing journey, one that I plan on appreciating every step. You only get one life. I feel so amazingly lucky that I realised from a young age what each moment is worth. I plan on enjoying every single minute. I love to live, I love to give, and I hope that you enjoy reading some of my stories.

Looking back at the past ten and a bit years

AUGUST 2001

The first trip overseas trip I took on my own was so daunting. I went on a Contiki Tour of Europe. Once I was on tour I was fine, but I still remember saying goodbye to my family and friends at the airport and feeling the nervous energy that comes with doing something on your own for the first time. I was just twenty one then. Back then it all seemed so strange and new. But once I started, I've never been able to stop since. That first trip gave me the bug. I got a taste when I stopped in at some of the most well known famous cities in Europe like Rome, Paris, Barcelona, Amsterdam and London. I also met some amazing people who have become life long friends. Some of my journeys since would not have been the same if it weren't for a friendly face across the other side of the world willing to show me around.

2004

The adventure year. At the end of 2003 I was made redundant, a long term relationship ended and I had nowhere to be, nothing to hold me back and dreams beckoning. I booked a ticket around the world. First stop was eight weeks in Africa, a place that changed me forever. I now look back as this year as the biggest learning experience of my life. Africa will do that, it is a place that just wakes you up and gives you a shake and makes you go wow. Plus the animals and the scenery are spectacular. I had then planned to live and work in London, but sometimes destiny leads you elsewhere.

Instead I continued traveling with a fellow traveler met along the way in Zanzibar and after a short pit stop in London, headed to New York. From there I took a side trip to the Dominican Republic before exploring Miami, Denver, the Rocky Mountains by car through Grand Teton, Yellowstone and to Seattle. I then cruised the Inside Passage Alaska and flew back to New York saying a sad goodbye to my traveling friend.

Finally I traveled through Canada, catching up with an old Contiki friends in Montreal and another backpacker I'd met in Australia in Toronto. I checked in at Niagara Falls, Ottawa and Quebec City before taking a train back to New York and a flight to Vancouver to see the Canadian Rockies including Banff and Lake Louise before heading home.

The second half of 2004 saw me move to Darwin for six months to see where things would go with the guy I'd met traveling that led my path astray. During the dry, Darwin was beautiful, but my time there and the relationship didn't last, Towards December I took a trip from Darwin to Kakadu and down to Alice and Uluru before moving back to NSW.

JAN 2005

I moved to Sydney and got a career in travel for a tour wholesaler. I always wanted to help other travelers achieve their dreams, and for two and a half years that's what I did.

I chose to live in Bondi and took up playing Netball for the first time since at school, then later started salsa and hip hop dance classes in the city.

My work took me to many Australian cities including Brisbane, Perth and Melbourne.

APRIL 2006

The benefit of working in travel is the much anticipated famil. In 2006 I headed to South America, visiting Buenos Aires, Rio de Janeiro, Iguazu Falls, La Paz, Lake Titicaca, Cuzco, hiking the Inca Trail to Machu Pichu, Arequipa, the Colca Canyon, Nazca, Huacachina, and Lima. This was an incredible five week experience I could not have done without my job and I had an absolute ball. After coming home I took some more lessons in Spanish to improve the language even further. Little did I know what significance South America would have for me so many years later!

JULY 2006

After my trip to South America, I moved to South Coogee. There my home had a balcony looking out to the ocean with views of the island the locals call 'the wedding cake.' Almost every day during summer I would take a dip in the ocean baths before hiking the hill to home.

OCTOBER 2006

I took another holiday to Hervey Bay and Fraser Island. Fraser Island was gorgeous and very relaxing. Hervey Bay was so quaint, quiet and wholesome. I loved Fraser Islands beautiful Lake Mackenzie and Basin Lake, the Maheno Shipwreck, laughs with fellow travelers and the peace of the Mango Hostel back in Hervey Bay. Watching the whales breach in the bay was also a fitting finish to the week I spent there.

JANUARY 2007

After Christmas visiting the folks I kicked of the New Year with a big night two parties and a massively long walk home from Bondi to Coogee in the wee hours of the morning. The weekend after I headed off to Seal Rocks with my flatmate to learn to Surf. Later that month I headed to Fremantle and Canberra for work.

JUN 2007

I took a few weekend getaways catching up with a friend and taking in the South Coast of NSW including Bateman's Bay, Narooma, Bermagui and Jindabyne.

After two years working in tourism I decided to study and applied to many University's. I was so very surprised when I got Newcastle and found out - can you believe it - that I was headed back home to where it all began. In July 2007 I began my Bachelor of Communication degree.

JANUARY 2009

After two years of hard work, I took a well earned break traveling to Cambodia visiting Phnom Penh, Sihanoukville, Siem Reap and Angkor.

This was a good trip but a hard trip as though I loved Cambodia on my return things changed once more as a guy I'd been dating ended things and once more I found myself wondering what I'd done wrong. Looking back now it was the best thing that could have happened to me. Because the best years were waiting right around the corner.

JULY 2009

Later that year, in July 2009 I met a wonderful guy from Argentina who lived in Newcastle. He had a big smile and a warm heart and the ability to bring a smile to my face always. Who would have thought that I would look for him all over the world including Argentina and then find him here in Australia in my own home town? I finished my degree in 2010, graduating with distinction average and started working in marketing and advertising.

FEBRUARY 2013

Just three years later the lovely Argentinian lad and I got married. For our honeymoon in February we traveled to Thailand. This year since then has been quite busy with work, however it is my resolution for 2014 to write more and get my own blog pages on word press up and finished to share more tales.

Next year my husband and I are building a new home and hope to travel to the South Pacific to Fiji, Vanuatu and New Caledonia or go back to Argentina to visit some of his friends and family. I can't wait to see what the future has to offer. No doubt many many more destinations and stories to share with you all.

A Songs that inspire me

BREAK AWAY - KELLY CLARKSON

Grew up in a small town
And when the rain would fall down
I'd just stare out my window
Dreaming of what could be
And if I'd end up happy
I would pray

Trying hard to reach out
But when I tried to speak out
Felt like no one could hear me
Wanted to belong here
But something felt so wrong here
So I'd pray
I could break away

I'll spread my wings and I'll learn how to fly.
I'll do what it takes till I touch the sky.
Make a wish, take a chance,
Out of the darkness and into the sun.
But I won't forget all the ones that I love.
I'll take a risk, take a chance,
Make a change, and break away

Wanna feel the warm breeze
Sleep under a palm tree
Feel the rush of the ocean
Get on board a fast train
Travel on a jet plane
Far away
And break away

I'll spread my wings and I'll learn how to fly.
I'll do what it takes till I touch the sky.
Make a wish, take a chance,
Out of the darkness and into the sun.
But I won't forget all the ones that I love.
I'll take a risk, take a chance,
Make a change, and break away

Buildings with a hundred floors
Swinging with revolving doors
Maybe I don't know where they'll take me
Gotta keep movin on movin on
Fly away
Break away

I'll spread my wings and I'll learn how to fly.
Though its not easy to tell you goodbye
Take a risk, take a chance,
But I won't forget the place I come from
I gotta take a risk, take a chance,
Breakaway
Break away

BEAUTIFUL - CHRISTINA AGUILERA

Don't look at me

Every day is so wonderful
And suddenly, it's hard to breathe
Now and then, I get insecure
From all the pain, I'm so ashamed

I am beautiful no matter what they say
Words can't bring me down
I am beautiful in every single way
Yes, words can't bring me down oh no
So don't you bring me down today

To all your friends, you're delirious
So consumed in all your doom
Trying hard to fill the emptiness
The piece is gone left the puzzle undone
It that the way it is

You are beautiful no matter what they say
Words can't bring you down oh no
You are beautiful in every single way
Yes, words can't bring you down oh no
So don't you bring me down today...

No matter what we do
(no matter what we do)
No matter what we say
(no matter what we say)
We're the song inside the tune
Full of beautiful mistakes
And everywhere we go
( and everywhere we go)
The sun will always shine
(sun will always, always shine)
But tomorrow we might awake
On the other side

We are beautiful no matter what they say
Yes, words won't bring us down oh no
We are beautiful in every single way
Yes, words can't bring us down oh no
So don't bring me down today...

Don't you bring me down...today...
Don't you bring me down...mmmmm...today...

BORN TO TRY - DELTA GOODREM

Doing everything that I believe in
Going by the rules that I've been taught
More understanding of what's around me
And protected from the walls of love

But I was born to try

No point in talking what you should have been
And regretting the things that went on
Life's full of mistakes, destinies and fate
Remove the clouds look at the bigger picture

And all that you see is me

All I truly believe

BREATH IN NOW - GEORGE

i see love and beauty all around
i also see the sadness thats embedded in your frown
i wonder why you choose not to talk to those who surround
i sense the fear of lifting heavy feet, higher than you want to
i just want to believe your truth
you stand there but you do not cast a shadow
you walk away with every word you choose not to say
i suppose that moving on paints a new colour for each day
i dont like to see dreams put on the shelf, to deal with on that one day
i just want to be happy for you
and say i love i live and breathe in now
i move on holding on to what i learn
its time to let go of the notion that the whole world's against me
break free of shackles that formed young, time free and now
now i know its not all up to me, i can count on another
so move on, lighter, and be free
and say i love i like and breathe in now
and say i love i live and breathe in
i believe in for today, i just want to know that you're okay
coz i believe in breathing just for today
i just want to know that you're okay

WHATEVER IT IS - BEN LEE

Are you changing, are you changing, are you changing.
Do you know it, do you feel it, do you know it.
But you're waiting, why're you waiting, why're you waiting.
Just do it, whatever it is.
there are secrets, there are secrets, there are secrets.
there are places, there are places, you can go to
they might tell you, yeah they'll tell you, that you shouldn't

go do it, whatever it is, whatever it is,
just do it, whatever it is.

and you're dancing, and you're looking kinda crazy
and your arms, are making little circles
there are reasons, there are reasons, you can find out

so do it, whatever it is, whatever it is,
go do it, whatever it is, whatever it is,
whatever it is, whatever it is.

it's so quiet, it's so quiet, it's so quiet
and you're dreaming, and you're dreaming, and you're dreaming
I turn to you and say - awake is the new sleep, awake is the new sleep
so wake up. And do it, whatever it is. Just do it, whatever it is.
'cause awake is the new sleep, awake is the new sleep
so wake up
wake up.
and do it. Whatever it is, whatever it is,
just do it, whatever it is, whatever it is,
go do it, whatever it is, whatever it is
just do it, whatever it is, whatever it is.

• Intro Updated Dec 14, 2013

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!
Zanzibargirl's Profile Photo

Zanzibargirl

“Look, Laugh, Listen, Love, Live, Learn”

Real Name