"Gdansk - the great city." Top 5 Page for this destination Gdansk by Dagon
Gdansk Travel Guide: 1,196 reviews and 3,610 photos
Gdansk is the Polish maritime capital with the population nearing half a million. It is a large centre of economic life, science, culture, and a popular tourist destination. Lying on the Bay of Gdansk and the southern cost of the Baltic Sea the city is a thousand years old. With its Hanseatic tradition, it has for ages played a major role in the commercial relationships between Northern and Western Europe on the one hand, and the countries of Central and Eastern Europe on the other hand. Today, Gdansk is the capital of the Pomeranian province and an important administration centre.
In its "golden age" the city enjoyed the specific status of a municipal republic. It was also a melting pot of cultures and ethnical groups. The air of tolerance and the wealth built on trade made culture, science, and art. flourish. Today, works by outstanding Gdansk masters can be admired in museums, churches, and galleries. These collections, as well as the historic sites of enchanting beauty witness a thousand years of the city's continued existence. The break-through events of the most recent turbulent period are documented in the multi-medial exhibition: "Roads to Freedom" arranged in the historic BHP hall of the Gdansk Shipyard. The exposition recalls the local struggle for freedom and justice, and the birth of the first Independent Trade Union, "Solidarity". These developments triggered the avalanche that toppled communism in Europe.
Gdansk is my home city and I must say - the most beautiful I've seen :) I can only invite everyone, who would like to see this city.
I'm really proud of my city :D
If you have any questions about this city, just write to me and I'll try to answer them as fast, as possible :)
I'm trying to create very big datebase about Gdansk - it'll take some time, but I hope I'll succeed :D
- Pros:Everything... :)))
- In a nutshell:Not only beautiful buildings...! :)
Every year, on the end of July sailingboats are comming to Gdansk becouse of Baltic Sail :) It's very big maritime... more travel advice
This short street is called the most beautiful one... This is the only street in the Main Town, that was reconstructed... more travel advice
- See All More amber... :)
- See All Partner cities.
- See All On the Dlugi Pobrzeze...
- See All Speedway.
- See All Camping site.
Dagon's Related Pages
Gdansk Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Freedom, Solidarity and German heritage"
- "Gdansk - the great city."
- "Gdansk - Capital of the Tri-city"
- "Gdansk - German spirit port of Poland"
- "I LOVED GDANSK!"
- "My favorite city in the world!"
- "Gdansk - A Phoenix Risen From the Ashes"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Gdansk
- Hotels in Gdansk
- Transportation in Gdansk
- Nightlife in Gdansk
- Restaurants in Gdansk
- Shopping in Gdansk
- Warnings and Dangers in Gdansk
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Gdansk
- 91 Reviews
- 110 Photos
- 32 Forum posts
- 36 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Gdansk?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Gdansk
Photos in GdanskSee All Photos (110)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gdansk Intro, 91 reviews, 110 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Szczecin Intro, 30 reviews, 61 photos, 3 travelogues
- Warsaw Intro, 12 reviews, 23 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Olsztyn Intro, 14 reviews, 17 photos
- Wojewodztwo Pomorskie Intro, 10 reviews, 16 photos, 1 travelogue
- Slowinski Park Narodowy Intro, 11 reviews, 14 photos
- Koscierzyna Intro, 7 reviews, 10 photos
- Swieta Lipka Intro, 6 reviews, 9 photos
- Bad Mergentheim Intro, 6 reviews, 8 photos
- Gryfino Intro, 4 reviews, 6 photos