"Gdansk - the great city." Top 5 Page for this destination Gdansk by Dagon

Gdansk Travel Guide: 1,214 reviews and 3,679 photos

Gdansk is the Polish maritime capital with the population nearing half a million. It is a large centre of economic life, science, culture, and a popular tourist destination. Lying on the Bay of Gdansk and the southern cost of the Baltic Sea the city is a thousand years old. With its Hanseatic tradition, it has for ages played a major role in the commercial relationships between Northern and Western Europe on the one hand, and the countries of Central and Eastern Europe on the other hand. Today, Gdansk is the capital of the Pomeranian province and an important administration centre.

In its "golden age" the city enjoyed the specific status of a municipal republic. It was also a melting pot of cultures and ethnical groups. The air of tolerance and the wealth built on trade made culture, science, and art. flourish. Today, works by outstanding Gdansk masters can be admired in museums, churches, and galleries. These collections, as well as the historic sites of enchanting beauty witness a thousand years of the city's continued existence. The break-through events of the most recent turbulent period are documented in the multi-medial exhibition: "Roads to Freedom" arranged in the historic BHP hall of the Gdansk Shipyard. The exposition recalls the local struggle for freedom and justice, and the birth of the first Independent Trade Union, "Solidarity". These developments triggered the avalanche that toppled communism in Europe.

Gdansk is my home city and I must say - the most beautiful I've seen :) I can only invite everyone, who would like to see this city.
I'm really proud of my city :D

If you have any questions about this city, just write to me and I'll try to answer them as fast, as possible :)

I'm trying to create very big datebase about Gdansk - it'll take some time, but I hope I'll succeed :D

• Pros:Everything... :)))
  • In a nutshell:Not only beautiful buildings...! :)
  • Intro Updated Jul 14, 2005

• BillNJ's Profile Photo
    Jun 17, 2008 at 5:06 PM

Interesting tips and photos. Gdansk looks like a very nice place to visit. Cheers from New Jersey, Bill

• cold_dead_bunny's Profile Photo
    Mar 9, 2008 at 11:27 AM

I hope will visit Gdansk in few weeks, your city is just astonishing, will ask some questions later! Alena

• Jan 28, 2008 at 5:43 AM

than you for your tip,we are flying to Gdansk July `08 and are looking forward to it.

• bugulma's Profile Photo
    Nov 24, 2007 at 2:30 PM

a lot of interesting sights in the city.

• pepples46's Profile Photo
    Aug 26, 2006 at 9:17 PM

excellent history of Gedansk on your page, I enjoyed readig.

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo
    Jul 15, 2006 at 4:35 AM

Stopping by to review your wonderful page once again. I'm leaving for Poland on the 19th and will be in Gdansk for several days very soon. Thank you for all the information and inspiration.

• deWilde's Profile Photo
    Jun 21, 2006 at 10:48 AM

What a neat looking building! Thanks for sharing this tip.

• xdescendx's Profile Photo
    Nov 30, 2005 at 5:41 AM

What a great page! I can't wait. I visited Poznan in October and will be in Gdansk in Februrary..burrrrrr.

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Sep 24, 2005 at 4:32 AM

Greg, interesting tips about Gdansk. I am off to your wonderful city next week. :o)

• William1982's Profile Photo
    Aug 7, 2005 at 3:21 AM

Will finally be going to Gdansk and can't wait. Off to Warsaw on Tuesday/ Wednesday so will be in Gdansk sometime after......any tips on what to see and cheap hostels to stay at (especially lively ones)? And Polish beer.......

Dagon

“Always look on the bright side of life...”

Badges & Stats in Gdansk