"Trekking for the Mountain Gorillas" Parc National de Virunga by Yogues
Parc National de Virunga Travel Guide: 22 reviews and 193 photos
I spent 4 months in Kenya in 1993, taking many trips around East Africa. One of the most exciting and amazing trips I took was to then Zaire to the Virunga National Park to visit with the Mountain Gorillas. Unfortunately, due to the civil war in neighboring Rawanda and the more recent upheavals in Zaire (DRC), I don't know how applicable my advice would be today. I do hope that someday, if not now, this trip can be safely taken again.
This picture was taken after four friends and I took a 12 hour or so bus ride from Nairobi to Kampala, Uganda (after our organized tour was cancelled), follwed by an 8 hour or so matatu (minibus) ride from Kampala to Kabale for the night, and on through Kisoro to the border of Uganda and Zaire at Bunagana Jomba, followed by a 2 hour hike up to the ranger station. We were exhausted and hungry.
I had been on a couple of safaris before this in Kenya and figured that we could buy food and water when we arrived - unfortunately for us, that was not the case. Fortunately we met a lady from New Zealand who gave us her iodine tablets so we could drink the creek water, and we met a local boy named "Andy" (we later figured out that his name wasn't really Andy but that he'd just repeated the name of one of our group when we asked him his name) who could get just about anything we wanted, as long as it was an organge Fanta or cabbage and potatoes or over-boiled spaghetti.
- Pros:An incredible experience - face to face with a Silverback
- Cons:Hard to get to - no real place to stay
- In a nutshell:If you can go there, do it!
Once you get to the boarder of Uganda and Zaire (DNC), you have to hoof it from there. We hired some local kids for... more travel advice
We waited 4 days to get our chance to see the Mountain Gorillas. There were two Gorilla families in the area and only 8... more travel advice
Yogues' Related Pages
Parc National de Virunga Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "I HAD THE PARK & GORILLAS ALL TO MYSELF !"
- ""Mum, I Went to Congo to see the Gorillas"!!!"
- "Trekking for the Mountain Gorillas"
- "Gorilla trek into the Congo - Virunga Nat. Park"
- "Gorillas in Virunga"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Parc National de Virunga
- Hotels in Parc National de Virunga
- Transportation in Parc National de Virunga
- Restaurants in Parc National de Virunga
- Warnings and Dangers in Parc National de Virunga
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Parc National de Virunga
- 5 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Parc National de Virunga?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Parc National de Virunga
- Posted in Travel Spain Forum "Re: San Sebastian to Madrid"
- Wrote a Review Tragic Civil War in Parc National de Virunga Warnings and Dangers
- Commented on one of kentishgirl's Parc National de Virunga travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Trekking for the Mountain Gorillas"
- updated a Parc National de Virunga Travel Page "Trekking for the Mountain Gorillas"
Photos in Parc National de VirungaSee All Photos (9)
Top 5 Pages
- Santorini Island Intro, 7 reviews, 18 photos, 2 travelogues
- Parc National de Virunga Intro, 5 reviews, 9 photos, 1 travelogue
- St. Croix Intro, 1 review, 6 photos
- Paros Intro, 3 reviews, 4 photos
- Athens Intro, 3 reviews, 3 photos
No friends yet.