"The Ancient City of Tomis & Global Constanta" Constanta by RoBeauty
Constanta Travel Guide: 203 reviews and 806 photos
Constanta is the main harbour on the Black Sea and second largest city in Romania. The first record of the settlement describes the ancient city of Tomis, founded in the 7th century BC by Greek settlers. Tomis was reconstructed by Constantine the Great and renamed Constantiana. The city was the place of exile of the Roman poet Ovid for nine years, until his death in AD 17. Ovid described the years spent here in his famous cycles of poems ``Ponticae" and ``Tristia". His tomb in now marked by a statue-monument in the town square that bears his name.
As you walk through old Constanta, something else catches your eye: the big Mahmudie Mosque, a landmark of the Turkish influence over the region. The mosque is the residence of the Mufti, the spiritual leader of Romanian Muslims. Thousands of sea-washed pebbles encased in the roof make it look like a jewel box. The mosque can be visited and its tall tower (50m) offers a great view of the old town and the harbor. If you are lucky you might catch the daily call for prayer. You can also get a taste of the Turkish influence by trying the meat or cheese-filled pies called Suberek and the traditional Baklava.
The antic Tomis is faimous for two things with an universal value .
1. Is conected with the legend of Argonauts is search for the "golden whole" which stopped there and give the name to the old town.
2. Is the place where the faimous Latin poet Ovidius had spend the last part of his life been exiled here by the Roman Emperor. He died in Tomis .(his statue can be seen today in the town center)
Tomis was founded 2500 years ago, as part of Greek colonisation in Pontus Euxinus .
Under the Roman domination, set up around 29 BC, Tomis made staggering progress. The history of the first years of our era came to the fore due to Publius Ovidius Naso, a Roman poet exiled here between 9 - 17 AC, at Octavian Augustus's orders.
- Pros:during the summer many bikini girls:)
- Cons:big nostalgy in winter
Tomis Mall its brend new. Here you will finde everything. Beauty Shop Body Shop Lush Sabon 14 K Arezzo... more travel advice
RoBeauty's Related Pages
Constanta Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Constanta - Tomis"
- "My Home...My Town...My CONSTANTZA"
- "Black Sea!!!"
- "This was my home, sweet home :)"
- "Constantza and the ancient Tomis city"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Constanta
- Hotels in Constanta
- Transportation in Constanta
- Nightlife in Constanta
- Restaurants in Constanta
- Shopping in Constanta
- Warnings and Dangers in Constanta
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Constanta
- 2 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Constanta?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Constanta
Top 5 Pages
- Bucharest Intro, 10 reviews, 16 photos
- Romania Intro, 8 reviews, 15 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mamaia Intro, 7 reviews, 10 photos
- Constanta Intro, 2 reviews, 6 photos
- Sinaia Intro, 3 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (31)
Latest Constanta hotel reviews
- Hotel Splendid
- 1 Review & Opinion
- Ibis Constanta
- 91 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 18, 2013
- 3 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 6, 2012
- Hotel Raluca
- 1 Review & Opinion
Latest: Mar 2, 2006
- 12 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 24, 2013
- Best Western Savoy Hotel Constanta
- 41 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 14, 2013