"Shelburne - home to one of America's best museums" Shelburne by Karnubawax
Shelburne Travel Guide: 12 reviews and 34 photos
The Burlington area has many great things to do, but the absolute must see is the Shelburne Museum. It's located in the town of Shelburne, just a few miles south of Burlington on Hwy 7.
I consider the Shelburne to be one of the best museums in America. Furthermore, I would say that no trip to New England would be complete without checking it out. It is well worth the detour from wherever you are.
You should allow 4 hours at an absolute bare minimum, but you can easily spend all day here and only graze the surface. In fact, if you're really into Americana and folk art in all it's forms you could easily spend 2 days here (tickets are good for 2 consecutive days).
My favorite things at the Shelburne are...
The circus building - normally I hate circuses, but this amazing collection of circus toys is a museum in itself. I think the toy circus - with an audience of nearly 10,000 toy spectators - is perhaps the single coolest thing at the shelburne!
The Ticonderoga - This mammoth side-wheeler steamboat - plunked down between two hills - is a museum in itself. It is one of only two ships of its' kind still in existence (the Eureka on San Francisco's Hyde St. Pier is the other). It is a beautifully restored masterpiece, with a gorgeous dining room, lounge area, and decks.
The fully-stocked turn of the century general store.
A complete Railroad Station - with locomotive and luxury rail car.
Please check out the travelogues for pictures!
- Pros:An absolutely awesome museum for kids and adults
- Cons:Closes at 5:30! Get there early!
- In a nutshell:The Disneyland of Museums!
Karnubawax's Related Pages
Shelburne Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Shelburne, VT.... Eclectic town on Lake Champlain"
- "Vermont Teddy Bear Factory - Shelburne Vermont"
- "Shelburne - home to one of America's best museums"
- "Secluded on the shore of Lake Champlain"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Shelburne
- Transportation in Shelburne
- Restaurants in Shelburne
- Warnings and Dangers in Shelburne
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Shelburne
- 0 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Shelburne?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Shelburne
Photos in ShelburneSee All Photos (7)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Francisco Intro, 87 reviews, 159 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Berkeley Intro, 10 reviews, 40 photos, 4 travelogues
- Canyonlands National Park Intro, 12 reviews, 34 photos
- New York City Intro, 10 reviews, 34 photos
- Arches National Park Intro, 13 reviews, 29 photos
- Sedona Intro, 12 reviews, 24 photos
- Richmond Intro, 11 reviews, 19 photos
- Sears Point Intro, 6 reviews, 23 photos, 1 travelogue
- Albany Intro, 2 reviews, 26 photos, 4 travelogues
- New Hampshire Intro, 9 reviews, 11 photos