"Country Road (singular)... Take Me Home..." Shenandoah National Park by Karnubawax
Shenandoah National Park Travel Guide: 163 reviews and 534 photos
Shenandoah National Park is a monument to nature's restorative power. In 1926 - when Congress authorized the creation of the park - the area had been pretty much abandoned, due to overlogging, overfarming and overgrazing. The Commonwealth of Virginia spent the next ten years buying up the land, piece by piece. The park was dedicated by Franklin Delano Roosevelt in 1936. After 3 years of hard work by the CCC, Skylie Drive was opened in 1939.
With the incredible 105-mile Skyline Drive winding its' way along the ridgeline, Shenandoah is considered by many to be a "driver's" park. And, indeed, you can enjoy the beautiful scenery without ever leaving your car. But those who do will be richly rewarded. Even hiking 100 yards off the road will put you in lush hiking country, and will make you forget there's a road within miles! The road spends much of its' time paralleling the famous Appalachian Trail, and you'll no doubt run into some hikers making their way through on the long journey from Georgia to Maine.
SNP is spectacular any time of year, but during the fall color season it's unbelievably beautiful. It's also VERY crowded, and if you plan to stay in the Park you'll need to make reservations as far in advance as possible - a year is not unreasonable. But at other times you can just drive right up and set up camp.
- Pros:There's only one road through the park
- Cons:There's only one road through the park
- In a nutshell:Get off the road at least once!
Karnubawax's Related Pages
Shenandoah National Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Skyline Drive and Shenandoah National Park"
- "Shenandoah National Park, VA"
- "A Thin slice of country"
- "Worth a visit even in a foggy day!"
- "SHENANDOAH NATIONAL PARK"
- "Shenandoah National Park"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Shenandoah National Park
- Hotels in Shenandoah National Park
- Transportation in Shenandoah National Park
- Nightlife in Shenandoah National Park
- Restaurants in Shenandoah National Park
- Shopping in Shenandoah National Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Shenandoah National Park
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Shenandoah National Park
- 1 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Shenandoah National Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Shenandoah National Park
Photos in Shenandoah National ParkSee All Photos (4)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Francisco Intro, 87 reviews, 159 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Berkeley Intro, 10 reviews, 40 photos, 4 travelogues
- Canyonlands National Park Intro, 12 reviews, 34 photos
- New York City Intro, 10 reviews, 34 photos
- Arches National Park Intro, 13 reviews, 29 photos
- Sedona Intro, 12 reviews, 24 photos
- Richmond Intro, 11 reviews, 19 photos
- Sears Point Intro, 6 reviews, 23 photos, 1 travelogue
- Albany Intro, 2 reviews, 26 photos, 4 travelogues
- New Hampshire Intro, 9 reviews, 11 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (21)
Latest Shenandoah National Park hotel reviews
- Skyland Resort
- 597 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 16, 2013
- Mathews Arm Campground
- 14 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 6, 2013
- Big Meadows Campground
- 31 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 22, 2012
- Potomac Appalachian Trail Club Cabins
- 2 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 14, 2012
- Lewis Mountain Campground
- 19 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 27, 2013