"In Search of John Steinbeck" Top 5 Page for this destination Salinas by Karnubawax
Salinas Travel Guide: 36 reviews and 133 photos
I had been meaning to stop by the National Steinbeck Center for a long time, and, as I was going down to see the folks, I finally got my chance to stop in.
I'm a big fan of John Steinbeck. I haven't read all of his books, but I've read most of the biggies. I would say that one's enjoyment of the Steinbeck Center will be greatly enhanced by reading one or two of his works; I guess that's true of any museum devoted to one author. If I may suggest a title or two: "Cannery Row" and "Of Mice And Men" are usually sold in one volume, and is a great introduction to Steinbeck. Very good movies have been made of "The Grapes of Wrath" and "East of Eden," the latter starring James Dean as bad boy Calvin Trask. But, as with all movie adaptations, the books are superior.
The town of Salinas itself is nothing to write home about. Until the Steinbeck Center was opened, the biggest thing in town was the Schilling spice factory! Salinas is a well worn stop on Highway 101 between San Francisco and San Luis Obispo. While nothing much is going on in Salinas, it is pretty close to some more interesting places; it's an easy drive to Monterey and Carmel, close to San Juan Bautista and Hollister, closer still to the Laguna Seca race track, and not too far from Cholame - the site of James Dean's fatal car crash.
Bottom line - Salinas is a "just passin thru" kind of place.
As a rule, restaurants in museums are pretty horrible. This one is actually right next door to the National Steinbeck... more travel advice
Karnubawax's Related Pages
Salinas Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "In Search of John Steinbeck"
- "World's Produce Capital and Home of John Steinbeck"
- "Salinas - Steinbeck's Birthplace"
- "LETTUCE CAPITAL OF THE WORLD"
- "Lourdes_2000's Salinas Page"
- "Making our way up the coast"
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Salinas
- 3 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Salinas?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Salinas
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Francisco Intro, 87 reviews, 159 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Berkeley Intro, 10 reviews, 40 photos, 4 travelogues
- Canyonlands National Park Intro, 12 reviews, 34 photos
- New York City Intro, 10 reviews, 34 photos
- Arches National Park Intro, 13 reviews, 29 photos
- Sedona Intro, 12 reviews, 24 photos
- Richmond Intro, 11 reviews, 19 photos
- Sears Point Intro, 6 reviews, 23 photos, 1 travelogue
- Albany Intro, 2 reviews, 26 photos, 4 travelogues
- New Hampshire Intro, 9 reviews, 11 photos