"Talkin' Bout Mill Valley" Mill Valley by Karnubawax

Mill Valley Travel Guide: 21 reviews and 41 photos

Home of the "Marin County Hot Tubbers"

While I was born in Concord, MA, and have lived in San Francisco since '87, Mill Valley is my hometown.

My family moved here when I was 3 and I lived here 'till I was 16, when a parents' remarriage moved us to Novato. Now, Novato is a nice place, but it ain't Mill Valley.

There might be a couple of reasons why this little town of around 15,000 sounds familiar. A group of school kids recorded a song in the 60's that briefly made the pop charts. The chorus was "Talkin' bout Mill Valley, Talkin bout Mill Valley, California, that's my hoooome...." In 1974, a local girl broke the gender barrier and became the first female to officially play in Little League (after a judge ordered them to let her in). Mill Valley was also the home of the fictional B.J. Honeycutt (played by Mike Farrell) from the TV series "MASH."

Mill Valley is most famous - or infamous - for being the epicenter of 70's bohemia... made famous in Cyril McFadden's "Serial." The whole peacock feather, hot tub, swinger, cocaine and TM thing. But an even earlier example of Mill Valley's bohemian ways started back in 1892, when a group of industrialists and society's elite took over a part of Muir Woods - and called it "Bohemian Grove." The Bohemian Grove as it's known today moved to the Russian River shortly thereafter.

Mill Valley is still, more than ever, a place of immense wealth - Marin County ranks consistently as having the highest real estate prices in the USA. But the priveleged could not have chosen a better spot... only 15 minutes from San Francisco at the base of Mt. Tamalpais.

Mill Valley is surrounded by the Golden Gate National Recreation Area - commonly referred to as the GGNRA. This is one of the most beautiful areas in the USA. Included here are Muir Woods National Monument and Mount Tamalpais. The Marin Headlands has some of the most awesome scenic vistas of any place on Earth. If that weren't enough, the Point Reyes National Seashore is only a short drive away.

I may be biased, but I believe a trip to San Francisco is not complete without spending a day in the natural environs of southern Marin County, and most guide books agree with me. You will be amazed at the scenery, and doubly amazed that it's only a few minutes from the Golden Gate Bridge!

• Pros:small, yet vibrant town, almost perfect natural setting
  • Cons:must be a millionaire (at least on paper) to own a house here
  • Last visit to Mill Valley: Sep 2004
  • Intro Updated Dec 7, 2005

• Jul 8, 2009 at 9:52 AM

What, no MLB career for one of the most prolific hitters to come out of Mill Valley Little League. I bet she was the woman that sued the Olympic Club for not allowing female members.

• b1bob's Profile Photo
    Dec 7, 2005 at 10:38 AM

I hope to see more on your hometown of Mill Valley soon.

• jessicadf's Profile Photo
    Oct 11, 2004 at 11:21 AM

A very nice Mill Valley tidbit, for sure. Go Girls!

Karnubawax

““I never travel without my diary. One should always have something sensational to read in the train.” - Oscar Wilde”

Badges & Stats in Mill Valley

Have you been to Mill Valley?

Latest Activity in Mill Valley