"They don't call it Berzerkeley for nothing!" Top 5 Page for this destination Berkeley by Karnubawax

Berkeley Travel Guide: 195 reviews and 395 photos

Berkeley is... well... it's Berkeley. The whipping boy of conservative America, Berkeley is the birthplace of "Political Correctness." Before that it was the epicenter of the free speech movement. Many of the folk who made it happen are still here - a little worse for wear.

The University of California - or "Cal" - dominates the city both physically and culturally. The campus is gorgeous and well worth a visit. Also a must is seeing the Cal Bears play football at gorgeous Memorial Stadium in the Berkeley Hills.

The hillside parks offer endless opportunities for hiking, the marina is a great place to rent a kayak and get some bay time, and Telegraph Avenue is a shopper's paradise - especially if you're a record collector.

Berkeley is often derrogatorially referred to as "Berzerkeley." Indeed, you may find it challenging to relate to the people here - mental health is not one of their strong points! They do take some getting used to, but you'll find Berkeley folks to be very friendly... if you can get past the exterior craziness!

• Last visit to Berkeley: Dec 2006
  • Intro Updated Jun 6, 2008

• breughel's Profile Photo
    Apr 8, 2008 at 8:16 AM

Your pseudo intrigued me. I used Carnauba wax for making some chemical mix.

• Vulindlela's Profile Photo
    Feb 6, 2007 at 8:43 PM

I saw Cal and Oregon in 2001. What a great place to see a game! I love Pac10 Football!

• b1bob's Profile Photo
    Feb 17, 2006 at 12:56 PM

I would have loved to have gone to Berkeley. Can you imagine the trouble I would cause just by being me? Tightwad Hill sounds like the place for me. Nice updates.

• Hopkid's Profile Photo
    Oct 7, 2005 at 3:05 PM

Great tips on Berkeley, David. Totally takes me back to my days there. I almost never missed a Cal home football or basketball game. ~ Andy

Karnubawax Visits Here Frequently!

Karnubawax

““I never travel without my diary. One should always have something sensational to read in the train.” - Oscar Wilde”

Badges & Stats in Berkeley

Have you been to Berkeley?

Photos in Berkeley