"Favorite Vacation Destination" Top 5 Page for this destination Gatlinburg by vhasouth

Gatlinburg Travel Guide: 389 reviews and 653 photos

Check out the Smokies!

Gatlinburg for my family has become almost a given for a vacation spot. We love to hike the trails. For my son and husband, they love to do what I fondly call "death march" trails. These are trails over 5 miles with extremely steep inclines. My daughter and I enjoy the under 5 mile trails where the incline is not as steep.

At any rate, the views, the streams and the waterfalls await you. It doesn't matter how you choose to get to the mountains, just choose to go!!

Places to Avoid and Recommendations

I've been going to Gatlinburg for 20 years. The one motel I urge you to avoid is the Ramada. I cannot begin to describe the problems with this motel.

I would like to recommend The Edgewater or The Holiday Inn - Sunspree Resort. My last couple of trips I stayed at the Edgewater and had great trips. We have stayed at the Holiday Inn 2 times and loved it.

• Pros:Easy place to get back to nature, without spending a lot of money. Very family oriented.
  • Cons:In the Fall the traffic and crowds can be overwhelming
  • In a nutshell:Gatlinburg is an excellent place to stay to explore the Smokies. It's important to "stay on the strip". Parking around Gatlinburg is scarce. Bring comfortable shoes, walking is best way to get around.
  • Last visit to Gatlinburg: Nov 2004
  • Intro Updated Jul 12, 2005

• Aug 13, 2008 at 5:30 PM

I agree! We eat there on every trip. It's always busy and you may have to wait but it is worth it!

• May 12, 2007 at 5:36 PM

could you send me a brocher please. Trish Schroll 18 W. Sunrise Ave Trotwood, Ohio 45426

• johanl's Profile Photo
    Aug 6, 2006 at 1:29 AM

Great pages on Gatlinburg. I like the smokeys a lot too. Have a great summertime.

• Feb 11, 2006 at 2:08 PM

Hi from UK. Great tips and wonderful photos. We are going to Gatlinburg in May this year. Really looking forward to it

• Jan 15, 2006 at 2:14 AM

Nice page with wonderful photos!

• Smutzie's Profile Photo
    Sep 27, 2005 at 8:24 AM

We are going to Gatlinburg next summer. It will be the first time for my whole family. Plus my fiance and I are getting married in one of the little chapels. Can't wait!

• Luchonda's Profile Photo
    Jul 31, 2005 at 12:54 PM

Nice wildlife pictures - greetz from Belgium !

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Jul 12, 2005 at 5:23 AM

Virginia,The photo at Cades Cove with the deer is delightful. I admire your honest, informative hotel tips. I agree with Stephen that the area is incredible, but the traffic is a nightmare. Observant, organized, straight forward, and fun to read.

• RIPKEN_HOF's Profile Photo
    Jul 7, 2005 at 3:07 PM

we just got back from Gat.,TN...WOW , what a place...nice info

• kyoub's Profile Photo
    Jul 7, 2005 at 7:06 AM

I have heard so much about Gatlinburg but I have never been there. Thanks for the tips and photos.

vhasouth

“Let's go!!!”

Badges & Stats in Gatlinburg

Have you been to Gatlinburg?

Latest Activity in Gatlinburg