"Jekyll Island" Jekyll Island by vhasouth

Jekyll Island Travel Guide: 129 reviews and 323 photos

My family and I visited Jekyll Island over Memorial Weekend in 2005. Overall we had a good time. The island has lots of unusual things to offer. Driftwood beach was a huge hit with us.

However, if you're going to just hang out at the beach we were sorely disappointed. We are used the the sugary sands of the gulf of the Florida panhandle. The was a far cry from that. The beach where we stayed at the Days Inn was to quote my son "quikrete". It felt and looked like you were walking on a new sidewalk. The water was dark and dirty looking.

On the south end of the island we enjoyed a beautiful sunset and watched dolphins eating from the hands of local fishermen.

On the north end there is a wonderful fishing pier that seems to stay busy 24 hrs.

The historical district is beautiful. Just hard to keep teenagers entertained looking at historical buildings.

• Pros:An unusal experience
  • Cons:Beaches were very disappointing
  • In a nutshell:The place to go if you're not picky about beaches
  • Last visit to Jekyll Island: May 2005
  • Intro Updated Jun 27, 2005

• aussiedoug's Profile Photo
    Nov 2, 2005 at 4:04 PM

Would have thought Jekyll Is. would have had good beaches & Hyde Is the bad (like Dr Jekyll & My Hyde. lol!). Seriously now, family friend restaurants are important to us too with twin girls almost 7 years old.

• Gerrem's Profile Photo
    Jul 26, 2005 at 12:16 AM

Intersting trees on the beach,...Regards, Michael

• Xemx's Profile Photo
    Jul 18, 2005 at 4:50 AM

What a beautiful sunrise pic...not too sure I like the sound of the beaches though! Thanks for leaving your birthday wishes. Greetings from Malta! Anne

• nepalgoods's Profile Photo
    Jul 17, 2005 at 4:22 AM

Lookes like an interesting island. Thank you for your birthday wishes-Ulrike

• kyoub's Profile Photo
    Jul 9, 2005 at 4:36 AM

It sounds like a fun week-end. I would love to see the dolphins taking food from the fishermen.

vhasouth

“Let's go!!!”

Badges & Stats in Jekyll Island

Have you been to Jekyll Island?

Latest Activity in Jekyll Island