"A capital and a boomtown" Top 5 Page for this destination Helena by melissa_bel
Helena Travel Guide: 50 reviews and 72 photos
This was my second visit to Helena, the Queen City, and this time, with more time on our hands, Justin and I could explore a little more of Montana's capital.
So far, Helena is my favourite city in the State. Because it is the capital and thus the showcase for the State of Montana, Helena is a very pretty town filled with public spaces, nice mansions, historical buildings and museums.
Helena is located at the centre-west of the state, in a hilly area close to the continental divide.
Born during the Gold Rush of 1864, the Helena area was a transit point for Natives. In 1805-1806, the Lewis and Clark expedition crossed the valley. But the real story starts when the "Four Georgians" discovered gold in the Last Chance Creek in 1864. The city boomed quickly and soon, a lot of wealthy people made Helena their home.
When the gold ran out, Helena became a center of trade and distribution, thanks to its location and trade and banks settled here. In 1875, Helena became the capital of the territory of Montana. It remained so in 1893 when Montana became a State (and pitted a bitter fight against Anaconda for the title).
Today, it;'s a dual city where 3-pieces suits meets cow-boy boots and VW-wagons.
With lots of outdoors activities, a beautiful downtown area and Capitol, Helena is a charming town that should not be missed.
- Pros:Small town but it's the capital with all the advantages it implies. Great outdoors close by...
- Cons:It's a small town ;o)
Another side of the road to Helena, rolling hills reminding you of "Dances With The Wolves" more travel advice
For those interested in Montana history, this is the place to go. From Native artifacts to painting, from firearms to... more travel advice
Written May 9, 2016
Inside Montana Capitol Building
Written May 9, 2016
Last Chance Gulch Mall
melissa_bel's Related Pages
Helena Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A capital and a boomtown"
- "Colorful Helena in the Heart of Montana"
- "A decade in Helena"
- "Windseekr's new Helena Page"
- "EmilyS's Helena Page"
- "Sammi59601's New Helena Page"
- "Helena at the Foot of the Rockies"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Helena
- Hotels in Helena
- Restaurants in Helena
- Shopping in Helena
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Helena
- 10 Reviews
- 25 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (12)
Have you been to Helena?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Helena
Photos in HelenaSee All Photos (25)
Top 10 Pages
- Brussels Intro, 73 reviews, 59 photos, 1 travelogue
- Rome Intro, 33 reviews, 23 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Helena Intro, 10 reviews, 25 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Montana Intro, 7 reviews, 13 photos, 1 travelogue
- Isla Cozumel Intro, 4 reviews, 12 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Majahual Intro, 5 reviews, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- Chicago Intro, 7 reviews, 7 photos
- United States of America Intro, 6 reviews, 7 photos
- Yellowstone National Park Intro, 6 reviews, 7 photos
- Romania Intro, 4 reviews, 8 photos, 2 travelogues