"Travel through Romania" Romania by melissa_bel

Romania Travel Guide: 6,637 reviews and 21,482 photos

In 1996, some of my classmates and I got Some of my classmates and I got involved in an exchange programme with the University of Bucharest. The goal was to travel there and come back with enough material to write a magazine about it then sell it to finance the trip of our Romanian counterparts. We organized parties, sold T-shirts and finally, we were all set to go.
We would do a 2-weeks road trip from Brussels to Bucharest. From there, our group split into 3 teams who would be travelling through different regions of the country. I chose Transvylvania. Isabelle, Carole, Christelle, Anne, Pilou and our Romanian guardian-angels Diana, Raluca and Radu were going to to drive through a Grand Tour of Transylvania

Our itinerary

Day 1 :Brussels
Day 2: Budapest,Hungray, early in the morning. the night in Szeged
Day 3: Crossing the border. Arrival in Bucharest around 11 PM
Day 4: Bucharest
Day 5: Start of road trip, first stop... Timisoara
Day 6: Visit of Timisoara, spending the night in Arad.
Day 6: On the way to our next destination, we meet Partenie who invites us to his farm. Spending the night at the farm.
Day 7: Simleu Silvaniei
Day 8: Visit of Baia Mare, spending the night in a monastery.
Day 9: Visit of Sapinta and the "Merry Cemetery" as well as the Prison of Sighet, spending the night in Tirgu Mures.
Day 10: Arrival at Sibiu, visit .
Day 11: More visit of Sibiu and the German-speaking villages around. Back on the road to Timisora. We arrive late at night. Radu goes back home.
Day 12: Enjoying Timisora. Diana and Raluca go back to Bucharest. Meeting wiith the rest of the group coming from Bucharest and start the drive.
Day 13: Arrival in late afternoon in Brussels.

• Pros:It's an "exotic" (in the sense of completely different) destination. It's like stepping back in time. It's a country rich in culture(s), eco-tourists will find lots of unspoiled area, the great Romanian hospitality.
  • Cons:The roads can be harsh, sometimes the water can go out, fuel shortages happens. But that was in 1996, things have probably changed.
  • Last visit to Romania: Oct 1996
  • Intro Written Jul 17, 2004

• nickandchris's Profile Photo
    May 1, 2006 at 10:30 AM

Romania is somewhere I would love to visit. Seems like you had a good trip.

• craic's Profile Photo
    Jan 6, 2005 at 8:34 AM

What a trip. I'm green with envy.

• evona's Profile Photo
    Jan 3, 2005 at 6:38 AM

Nice page. Happy New Year to you :)

• codrutz's Profile Photo
    Dec 25, 2004 at 12:13 PM

Thanks for checking and rating my pages :) Things changed in Romania since 1996 and they are changing quickly. Merry Christmas from a fellow VT addict :))

• jamiesno's Profile Photo
    Dec 20, 2004 at 6:11 AM

I noticed on your external page and now on this one that you take great shots of the local people :-)

• Sharrie's Profile Photo
    Aug 21, 2004 at 8:47 PM

Hoping to have "an interview with the vampire" one day ;-))) Just kidding...

• morgane1692's Profile Photo
    Jul 18, 2004 at 12:45 PM

Hmmm, I'd like to get to Romania one day, but that traffic...except for the horsedrawn carriages, I don't know, chaos is chaos, sounds like the take-your-life-in-your-hands daily commutes around here! ;-)))

melissa_bel

“I came, I saw and I can't stop going.”

Badges & Stats in Romania

Have you been to Romania?

Latest Activity in Romania