"Travel through Romania" Romania by melissa_bel
Romania Travel Guide: 6,820 reviews and 22,096 photos
In 1996, some of my classmates and I got Some of my classmates and I got involved in an exchange programme with the University of Bucharest. The goal was to travel there and come back with enough material to write a magazine about it then sell it to finance the trip of our Romanian counterparts. We organized parties, sold T-shirts and finally, we were all set to go.
We would do a 2-weeks road trip from Brussels to Bucharest. From there, our group split into 3 teams who would be travelling through different regions of the country. I chose Transvylvania. Isabelle, Carole, Christelle, Anne, Pilou and our Romanian guardian-angels Diana, Raluca and Radu were going to to drive through a Grand Tour of Transylvania
Day 1 :Brussels
Day 2: Budapest,Hungray, early in the morning. the night in Szeged
Day 3: Crossing the border. Arrival in Bucharest around 11 PM
Day 4: Bucharest
Day 5: Start of road trip, first stop... Timisoara
Day 6: Visit of Timisoara, spending the night in Arad.
Day 6: On the way to our next destination, we meet Partenie who invites us to his farm. Spending the night at the farm.
Day 7: Simleu Silvaniei
Day 8: Visit of Baia Mare, spending the night in a monastery.
Day 9: Visit of Sapinta and the "Merry Cemetery" as well as the Prison of Sighet, spending the night in Tirgu Mures.
Day 10: Arrival at Sibiu, visit .
Day 11: More visit of Sibiu and the German-speaking villages around. Back on the road to Timisora. We arrive late at night. Radu goes back home.
Day 12: Enjoying Timisora. Diana and Raluca go back to Bucharest. Meeting wiith the rest of the group coming from Bucharest and start the drive.
Day 13: Arrival in late afternoon in Brussels.
- Pros:It's an "exotic" (in the sense of completely different) destination. It's like stepping back in time. It's a country rich in culture(s), eco-tourists will find lots of unspoiled area, the great Romanian hospitality.
- Cons:The roads can be harsh, sometimes the water can go out, fuel shortages happens. But that was in 1996, things have probably changed.
Just 30 minutes away from Timisoara lies Arad, the other big city in the area. Arad seemed in dire need of... more travel advice
Timisoara is without the shadow of a doubt, the most Western city in Romania, geographically and in spirit. Located in... more travel advice
Written Jul 17, 2004
Sapinta and the Merry Cemetery
Written Sep 21, 2004
melissa_bel's Related Pages
Romania Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Romania, a country of history, art, and humanity"
- "It was ' home' for a few months"
- "Romania, Eastern Jewel"
- "Ce faci, Romania?"
- "Welcome to my homecountry"
- "Walking in the Carpathian Mountains"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Romania
- Hotels in Romania
- Transportation in Romania
- Nightlife in Romania
- Restaurants in Romania
- Shopping in Romania
- Warnings and Dangers in Romania
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Romania
- 4 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (12)
Have you been to Romania?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Romania
Top 10 Pages
- Brussels Intro, 73 reviews, 59 photos, 1 travelogue
- Rome Intro, 33 reviews, 23 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Helena Intro, 10 reviews, 25 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Montana Intro, 7 reviews, 13 photos, 1 travelogue
- Isla Cozumel Intro, 4 reviews, 12 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Majahual Intro, 5 reviews, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- Chicago Intro, 7 reviews, 7 photos
- United States of America Intro, 6 reviews, 7 photos
- Yellowstone National Park Intro, 6 reviews, 7 photos
- Romania Intro, 4 reviews, 8 photos, 2 travelogues