"Traditionnal Abruzzo village: San Giovanni Lipioni" San Giovanni Lipioni by melissa_bel
San Giovanni Lipioni Travel Guide: 3 reviews and 4 photos
San Giovanni Lipioni is a hidden gem. Located in the province of Chieti, at the boder of Abbruzzo and Molise, it's part of the Val del Trigno villages, a necklace of small villages and town spread on both side of the Trigno river in the mountainous interior of Italy. This is were my father's family is from. The village has around 300 inhabitants year round but when summer comes, extended families are coming back be it from the cities of Vasto or San Salvo, from the four corners of Italy, Europe and even the world (Argentina, Canada and the US). Then, the population quadruples! Indeed, life was hard in this rural communitty and many have searched better fortune outside of it. but still, they come back. And their children and grandchildren.
San Giovanni is small but rich in culture. The area was settled by Italics before the Roman took over. A beautiful bronze head from 300 BC has been found in a field and it now lies at the National Library in Paris. The Chapel of Santa Liberata is also a registered building.
The best time to visit is on May 1st for the "Majo" procession but also in Mid-August for "Sagne Pezzatte" fair and the celebration of the Assumption.
So, if you like off the beaten track tourism and visit an authentic Abbruzzo village, drop by. You'll be welcome with open arms.
- Pros:Quiet, typical Abbruzzo mountain village, warm people, lots of trekking to do.
- Cons:Not for those who like high-powered vacations
Catholicism is big in Italy and even in the smallest village, the church will usually be one of the most beautiful... more travel advice
melissa_bel's Related Pages
San Giovanni Lipioni Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Traditionnal Abruzzo village: San Giovanni Lipioni"
- Create a San Giovanni Lipioni Travel Page
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in San Giovanni Lipioni
- 3 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to San Giovanni Lipioni?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in San Giovanni Lipioni
- Posted in Travel Brussels Forum "RE: RE: RE: hotel question"
- Wrote a Review Buses in San Giovanni Lipioni Local Customs
- updated a San Giovanni Lipioni Travel Page "Traditionnal Abruzzo village: San Giovanni Lipioni"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Traditionnal Abruzzo village: San Giovanni Lipioni"
Photos in San Giovanni LipioniSee All Photos (4)
Top 10 Pages
- Brussels Intro, 73 reviews, 59 photos, 1 travelogue
- Rome Intro, 33 reviews, 23 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Helena Intro, 10 reviews, 25 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Montana Intro, 7 reviews, 13 photos, 1 travelogue
- Isla Cozumel Intro, 4 reviews, 12 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Majahual Intro, 5 reviews, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- Chicago Intro, 7 reviews, 7 photos
- United States of America Intro, 6 reviews, 7 photos
- Yellowstone National Park Intro, 6 reviews, 7 photos
- Romania Intro, 4 reviews, 8 photos, 2 travelogues