"Two flavoured island." Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Martin by melissa_bel

Saint Martin Travel Guide: 91 reviews and 246 photos

Second port of call... St-Martin!

I was able to wake up early aboard the Grand Princess this time to be able to see the ship docking not far from Philipsburg, the capital of the Dutch-side of the island. Yes, this tiny piece of land is the smallest land-mass to be shared by two countries: France in the North, the Netherlands in the South. And they both have very distinct personnalities.

Fun vs Glamour

While the Dutch-side has a laid-back, anything goes, party-hang-out, commercial approach, the French-side side sees itself as a "democratic" version of star-studded island of St-Barts, with low-key glamour, fabulous eating and gorgeous beaches. There is something for everyone here. As I slowly watches the island getting closer and closer, I am thinking... I'm going to enjoy the place.

• Pros:One island, two cultures, great beaches, great dining, lots of things to do
  • Cons:The Dutch side is really too touristy and the French side might be a bit sedate for some.
  • Last visit to Saint Martin: May 2002
  • Intro Updated Jun 14, 2004

• Ekahau's Profile Photo
    May 28, 2006 at 6:05 PM

Beautiful place thanks for the tips.

• cadiana88's Profile Photo
    Jan 26, 2006 at 1:16 PM

I was there, excellent comments!!!

• catalysta's Profile Photo
    Jan 21, 2005 at 7:19 AM

Excellent write up for such a brief visit! Couldn't agree more, I love the French side, could forget the Dutch side easily, & Orient Beach is too too...cat

• minstrel74's Profile Photo
    Jan 17, 2005 at 1:32 AM

Sounds and looks like an interesting and beautiful place. I look forward to the chance to visit someday!

• jamiesno's Profile Photo
    Nov 21, 2004 at 9:41 AM

A friend of mine went here, it is suppose to be very french correct? Cheers from bbbrrrrr Labrador, Canada :-)

• Anchovy56's Profile Photo
    Sep 12, 2004 at 10:11 AM

a co-worker has been going here for 25 years....I believe notables such as Bill Gates and Robert Redford have homes here...Thanks for sharing your travels...

• Geisha_Girl's Profile Photo
    Aug 26, 2004 at 9:46 PM

Aaaah, fabulous St. Martin write- up! I came so close to dipping my toes in the crystal waters here! Alas, had tickets in hand, but traded them in for something even more special! ;-) Great page Melissa!

• AliasGirl's Profile Photo
    Aug 23, 2004 at 9:08 AM

I have always wanted to visit Saint Martin. But I never could decide which side to stay on! So we went to Grand Caymans instead. Now thanks to your tips, I know where to go. :)

melissa_bel

“I came, I saw and I can't stop going.”

Badges & Stats in Saint Martin

Have you been to Saint Martin?

Latest Activity in Saint Martin