"Closest "Big" city" Top 5 Page for this destination Spokane by EllenH

Spokane Travel Guide: 147 reviews and 229 photos

Living in small town Montana, Missoula at an hour away is the nearest city. It does have the University of Montana and about 40,000 people but that is hardly a big city. 4 hours west is the city of Spokane.
We found ourselves there on several occasions because they have the Shriners childrens hospital.(let me just add, the greatest organization on earth) But in doing so we got to know a bit of the city. The Spokane river runs right through the downtown and they have a fabulous park built around it.

• Pros:Big city
  • Cons:big city
  • In a nutshell:Maybe you have to live in a small town to understand that one....
  • Last visit to Spokane: Jun 2002
  • Intro Written Aug 26, 2004

• tropicrd's Profile Photo
    Jul 27, 2010 at 7:15 PM

Ellen,simply a wonderful place to build a city,great pics. Dorrise

• travelgourmet's Profile Photo
    Jan 25, 2010 at 7:04 PM

Ellen, I haven't been to Spokane since I was a youn'in. Great river photos. Looks like a fast moving river. Just saw the US Figure Skating from Spokane on TV.

• Camping_Girl's Profile Photo
    Nov 8, 2008 at 3:19 PM

I really enjoy getting away to Spokane for a few days, we usually manage it about once a year.

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Dec 26, 2006 at 4:09 PM

What a kind gesture on the part of the hotel! Spokane looks quite lovely, especially the park and water.

• Ken_Weaver's Profile Photo
    Mar 12, 2006 at 5:12 PM

I just finished a month project in Spokane...the downtown area is really nice...I am sure even nicer in the summer!

• JudyinPA's Profile Photo
    Mar 12, 2006 at 4:29 PM

Have been to WA several times but never east of Levenworth in the Cascades, once the plane landed in Seattle. It's good to hear about the Budget Inn and discounts for hospital visitors.

• Nov 5, 2005 at 6:44 PM

I will give Spokane another try when all the Lewises move away.

• sarahjayn's Profile Photo
    Jun 25, 2005 at 6:09 PM

neat water picture

• ZanieOR's Profile Photo
    Feb 6, 2005 at 8:16 PM

My daughter went to Uof M, and I miss my trips over Lolo Pass since she graduated. Spokane is closest big city to me also, though I travel to Portland more often because of family. "Big city" pro/con -- know exactly what you mean.

• jelw's Profile Photo
    Oct 4, 2004 at 9:06 PM

I get it, I get it! Lil Chincoteague person here. I spent time in Missoula and thought that was a big.

EllenH

“Have Westfalia, will travel (but planes are good also)”

Badges & Stats in Spokane

Have you been to Spokane?

Latest Activity in Spokane