"A few days in Tempe" Top 5 Page for this destination Tempe by EllenH

Tempe Travel Guide: 96 reviews and 216 photos

Yes those are giraffes

We just spent a few days in Tempe Arizona to go look at Arizona State University with my high school son. It is a huge city but it does not feel like it. Growing up in Montana, it makes me nervous to think of him in such a large city, yet Tempe had such a nice feel to it.

• Pros:Big city, lots of great restaurants
  • Cons:Big city
  • In a nutshell:Not such a bad place for my kid to go to college
  • Last visit to Tempe: Feb 2005
  • Intro Written Feb 3, 2005

• zanzooni's Profile Photo
    Jan 27, 2009 at 8:32 PM

I lived right next door, rock throwing distance to Papago Park back in 1975. I used to ride horses in that park, and I have pictures of me on a horse with my oldest daughter, Danielle, that passed. Lived in the Quanset Huts-a commune of sorts. ~

• Vanidar's Profile Photo
    Jun 22, 2007 at 10:44 AM

Very, very interesting and really good tips

• showe1966's Profile Photo
    May 25, 2007 at 8:37 PM

Considering all the chefs are mexican, the pizza is not bad. But as i say "There's nothing like a real Italian Pizza", and what I ate in "oregano's" is NOTHING like a real Italian pizza. It's a nice place, but the food is lousy.

• nickandchris's Profile Photo
    Jun 6, 2006 at 4:07 AM

Some good tips. Very interesting.

• keida84's Profile Photo
    Dec 18, 2005 at 2:58 PM

The history one learns on VT. Ellen I never knew anything about the German POW encampment during WWII, fascinating to say the least. Excellent page! Kat

• Nov 5, 2005 at 6:54 PM

Don't they have term limit in AZ?

• freya_heaven's Profile Photo
    May 3, 2005 at 3:10 AM

I didnt actually realise there were WW2 pow camps in America!! Oops lol! Nice story about the escaped prisoner. Frank Lloyd Wrigt was such a great innovator of architecture I love his building too. Lovely page Ellen (~_~)

• Beausoleil's Profile Photo
    Apr 3, 2005 at 9:02 PM

The prison camp story is funny. We lived in Clyde, NY years ago. They had an Italian POW camp there and we were told they never bothered to lock the gates. Prisoners went in and out at will. No one ever ran away. They liked it there . . . no war!

• Stephen-KarenConn's Profile Photo
    Mar 12, 2005 at 10:44 AM

With fresh snow here in Ohio this morning, I wish I were in Tempe right now. That poor German POW would have really been cold if the camp had been in Montana, instead of Arizona. Interesting info.

• JetlagCity's Profile Photo
    Mar 9, 2005 at 2:10 PM

Interesting about Papago Park. I didn't know Tempe was so big!

EllenH

“Have Westfalia, will travel (but planes are good also)”

Badges & Stats in Tempe