"Life in Montana" EllenH's Profile

The Spice of Life

This is the restaurant where I work, its an old building from 1909, was originally a bank but was a bar for 50 years or so and now it is a nice restaurant with lots of personality.
The food is great and so is the wine list. (and we have Guinness on tap.)
March 2007 we have been here for 10 years. Last night we had an anniversary party that everyone in town knew about except for me. It is also my 10 year anniversary. My boss organized this party that consisted of about 30 present and former employees including my 2 sons who are away at college. She actually flew people in to come to this party. I was in a total state of shock for most of the night (until the wine kicked in) It was an awesome night all around. Thank you Karen.

I live in one of the most beautiful places in the world and I'd like to share it. That doesn't stop me from wanting to travel any chance I get. I manage a busy restaurant and so summer vacations are nearly impossible. So I take off in slow time November and where better to go in November then to the Mediterranean, more specifically Italy. and then when we get back to Montana the ski season has begun. Cross country that is. Life is good. My birthday is in December and my favorite way to spend it is skiing or hot springs and a bottle of great red wine. I love Italian and Australian reds but I'll try anything. I buy the wine for the restaurant and so have the opportunity to try all sorts of wines all the time. Tough job but someones got to do it. Anyway enjoy Montana.

One of our favorite weekend camping destinations, camping on Flathead lake, especially when the cherries are ripe.

If you live in Montana you must have a dog

Guido, he is our buddy. Half boxer, half australian sheppard. I saw a dog book at costco and there was a picture of a bull boxer that looked exactly like Guido. So whatever he is, he is a sweet dog.

This is the coolest hot springs, this pool belongs to a totally restored 1930s style hotel, its cheap, its fun, they have great music. I send all visitors to Montana here. I haven't been recently and its time but alas we have other parts of the state to get to this week.

This is what we do for fun in the spring, some years we find 30 pounds and some years we find none. But its always like a big kid easter egg hunt. It is now May 2008, and the mushrooms are here!

One of our best trips was to Croatia. It was wonderful, beautiful, good food, good wine, nice people, and affordable. What more can you ask for? Check out my travelogues to see how nice it was. (I got kind of lazy in the tip building department)

VT people I have met in no particular order

Ciambella
Zanzooni
Ellielou
Littlesam1
ps366
Chris and Mark I do not know your vt names! Help me out here.

Cashiers or however we spell Claus, that was the best time we had in Denmark

• Intro Updated Apr 24, 2014

Apr 24, 2014 at 10:01 PM

I have no idea how to get a picture here anymore. Oh well.

• kiwi's Profile Photo
      Apr 25, 2014 at 4:12 AM

Where do you want to put a photo Ellen? In an album?

• kiwi's Profile Photo
      Apr 25, 2014 at 4:13 AM

Or do you mean to add another photo to your profile, but the limit is 8 and you already have 8.

• Paulm1987's Profile Photo
    Dec 23, 2013 at 3:12 AM

HAPPY Belated birthday @Ellen,hope you enjoyed...

• 68maciek's Profile Photo
    Dec 23, 2013 at 1:29 AM

Happy Birthday! 100 lat! Wesolych Swiat!

• Dymphna1's Profile Photo
    Dec 22, 2013 at 6:48 PM

Happy Birthday

Dec 22, 2013 at 10:07 PM

Thank you and Merry Christmas Montana girl!

• Dymphna1's Profile Photo
      Dec 23, 2013 at 6:07 AM

Merry Christmas to you. Can you believe how hard this winter has already been?

• keida84's Profile Photo
    Dec 22, 2013 at 10:07 AM

Happy Birthday Ellen Glad to see you in VT. Kat

• ray_d's Profile Photo
    Dec 22, 2013 at 2:17 AM

Happy Birthday Ellen

• JulieJueletha's Profile Photo
    Dec 22, 2013 at 12:39 AM

A very happy birthday! Your dog, Guido, and mine, Cinnamon, also look similar, and she is part bull terrier and part some other terrier *laughs* Have a wonderful day!

• johngayton's Profile Photo
    Dec 21, 2013 at 3:55 PM

Happy, HIC ;-! Birfday here too Ellen - I'm having that drink now.

• johngayton's Profile Photo
      Jan 2, 2014 at 2:39 PM

The only problem I have with where I am these days is escaping my Island - it takes me two days either side of any breaks just to allow for sailing times and potential bad weather cancellations :-(

Jan 2, 2014 at 8:17 PM

One of these days we are going to come see you,

• kingip's Profile Photo
    Dec 21, 2013 at 2:37 PM

Happy B/D!

• Ekaterinburg's Profile Photo
    Dec 21, 2013 at 1:47 PM

Ellen, why did I wish you Happy Birthday last week ?
    I have no idea but have a great day today :)

Dec 22, 2013 at 10:11 PM

Thank you and Merry Christmas! Someone posted happy Birthday and 20 others followed . It was silly.

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!
EllenH's Profile Photo

EllenH

“Have Westfalia, will travel (but planes are good also)”

Real Name