Barcelona Things to Do Tips by blint
Barcelona Things to Do: 3,839 reviews and 7,237 photos
This is one of my favourite parts of Barcelona and is of of the main things Barcelona is all about. The streets are old, and the houses are pretty ,and well, Gothic I suppose!
What you can see in the photo is the 'bridge' Carrer de Bisbe on Calle Bisbe which near San Jaume. It is probably the most photographed street in the barri Gotic and the are always street musicians surrounding it. I don't mean any old busker, but classy street musicians playing expensive musical instruments. Maybe they are students, otherwise they don't look short of a few bob. In any case they don't bother you and instead add to the mysterious and enchanting feel of the gothic streets.
Directions: Metro: Jaume I (L4), Liceu (L3)
BARCELONA HAS BEACHES!!!!!! This city has it all!!!!!
Barceloneta is very close to Las Ramblas, maybe only about 15 mins away by foot. There are lots of good restaurants by the port, then further along there is one of Barcelona's beaches! It is a good sandy city beach with lots of places to stop off for refreshments along the seafront.
Directions: METRO: Barceloneta (Yellow Line, L4)
It was Eusebi Güell who asked Gaudi to design this unique park, which displays many architectural delights and sculptures alike.
In the photo you can see one of Antoni Gaudi's most famous works for which Parc Guell an indeed Gaudi himself are known for, the colourful lizard/dragon sculpture adorning the stairway. The rest of the park is just as colourful using an array of coloured tiles to really make it a special and outstanding place. If you love art and architecture you'll really enjoy yourself here. It's like something from a fairytale!
The park it situated up a steep hill, as I remember it there were escalators to take you up the steeper bit! That's right, outdoor escalators!!! It's that steep!
It is free to enter and is open from about 10 until 19. There is plenty to see in the park so give yourself plenty of time to wonder around and take in all the different things to see. There is also a great view of Barcelona from up in the Parc.
I seem to remember a cable car in the park too!
Address: Carrer d'Olot 7, Vallcarca, Gràcia, 08024
Directions: Metro; line 3. Lesseps Station, then follow the street signs. Or take the number 24 bus from Plaza Catalunya.
9:00h to 20:00h every day
This was Gaudi's (famous Catalan architect) attempt to create a vision of paradise, allegedly!
There are various other buildings and such like by Gaudi dotted around Barcelona, but this is one of my favourites, especially as you are walking down the road by ordinary buildings, then you stumble across this masterpiece. Gaudi really has made walking around the streets of Barcelona far more interesting!
I suppose the main question is: "Who would live in a house like this?".
Lastly, let me explain my title. In Spanish Manzana is used to talk about blocks, neighbourhoods if you like, although it literally means "apple"! Discordia: Discord. So my tip is called the block of discord. Why? Well down Passeig de Gracia there are various examples of houses that challenge the architectural norms, therefore like I said before, you are walking down an otherwise normal street and then out jumps a strange, different surprising house! Totally different to it's surroundings, discordant.
In Catalan is is Mançana de la discordia.
Other houses in the area of interest are
la casa Lleó Morera, la casa Amatller and la casa Milà
Address: Passeig de Gràcia, 43
Directions: Buses: 7, 16, 17, 22, 24, 28
Metro: Passeig de Gràcia (L2, L3 and L4)
Phone: +34 93 216 03 06
Situated in the heart of the town leading down to the waterfront is Las Ramblas. A large pedestrian street that is literally littered with artists and art work.
When I say artists I mean every type of artist you can imagine, not just painters. Here people do anything to earn themselves a bit of cash and I have to say it is way better than simply begging. Of course, there is a great gap between the true artists and some people who are there to give anything ago like the guy I saw dressed as Charlie Chaplin with a Charlie Chaplin puppet, simply making him dance and walk. There was another guy with a football doing keepie uppies and a guy who thought it was funny to shout at everyone and give them a fright.
On the upper end of the scale there are brilliant musicians, amazing paintings for sale and people like the guy in the photo who have an amazing ability to stand still until you give them some money then they will move for you!
If you don't like the artists it's just a nice walk!
Directions: at the top end is Plaza Catalunya and at the bottom the water.
Originally designed by Antoni Gaudí (1852 – 1926), this massive Catholic Church (The holy Family), has been under construction since 1882 and is still being worked on now! They don't expect to finish it until 2026, but I will believe that when I see it!!!
In the photo you can see the front, the other side of it (the more recent side) actually looks a lot different and less intricate. It is not ugly though. Well saying that, there are many people who do actually think the Segrada Familiar IS ugly. Go, see, and let me know what you think!
Finished or not it is still one of the most popular tourist attractions in Spain and if you are in Barcelona it is a MUST!!!!
Address: Carrer de Mallorca 401
Directions: Metro: Line 2 or 5 Station: SagradaFamilia (one of the two lines is purple if that helps).
Phone: 93 207 30 31
More Reviews (9)
blint's Related Pages
Barcelona Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Barcelona es bona..."
- "Seamandrew's Barcelona Page"
- "Truly Catalunya, Truly Spain"
- "Barcelona,one of the most beautiful Spanish cities"
- "Addictive Barcelona"
- "BCN, a mediterranean capital"
- "Gaudi is Not the Only Site in the City"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Barcelona
- Hotels in Barcelona
- Transportation in Barcelona
- Nightlife in Barcelona
- Restaurants in Barcelona
- Shopping in Barcelona
- Warnings and Dangers in Barcelona
- See All...
Explore the World
- Turpan Hotels
- Kaieteur National Park
- Taungthaman Hotels
- Woodrow Hotels
- West Miami Hotels
- Phu Quoc
Badges & Stats in Barcelona
- 15 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 10 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (19)
Have you been to Barcelona?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Barcelona
- Posted in Travel Budapest Forum "Re: Dog-sitter needed"
- Commented on one of eksvist's Barcelona travel pages
- Wrote a Review Mes que un club: More than a Club! about F.C.Barcelona in Barcelona Sports & Outdoors
- Uploaded a Photo to "Mes que un club: More than a Club!"
- updated a Barcelona Travel Page "My first Spainish experience"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cadiz Intro, 141 reviews, 181 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Granada Intro, 92 reviews, 106 photos, 1 travelogue
- Spain Intro, 76 reviews, 93 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Croatia Intro, 51 reviews, 96 photos
- Budapest Intro, 36 reviews, 66 photos
- Málaga Intro, 32 reviews, 63 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Castilla-La Mancha Intro, 42 reviews, 44 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of British Columbia Intro, 34 reviews, 39 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vejer de la Frontera Intro, 26 reviews, 44 photos
- Morocco Intro, 31 reviews, 38 photos
Latest Barcelona hotel reviews
- Hotel Barcelona Universal
- 1349 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 2, 2013
- Hotel Medium Monegal
- 151 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 3, 2013
- City Park Hotel Pelayo
- 2 Reviews & Opinions
- H10 Universitat
- 580 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 29, 2013
- 267 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 24, 2013
- Barcelo Hotel Atenea Mar
- 251 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 1, 2013
- H10 Marina Barcelona Hotel
- 703 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 2, 2013
- 264 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 13, 2013
- Hotel Ginebra
- 9 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 26, 2013
- Campanile Barcelona Hotel
- 17 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 2, 2013
- Catalonia Albeniz
- 47 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 23, 2013
- Zenit Barcelona
- 58 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 9, 2013
- Ciutat de Igualada Hotel Barcelona
- 2 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 12, 2012
- Catalonia Castellnou
- 35 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 29, 2013
- Guitart Grand Passage
- 60 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 14, 2013
- Temple de la Sagrada Familia- 430 Reviews, 889 Photos
- Las Ramblas- 224 Reviews, 361 Photos
- Parc Guell- 309 Reviews, 624 Photos
- Casa Mila - La Pedrera- 180 Reviews, 343 Photos
- Tibidabo- 56 Reviews, 108 Photos
- Montjuic- 78 Reviews, 163 Photos
- Casa Batlló- 121 Reviews, 257 Photos
- Plaça Reial- 56 Reviews, 96 Photos
- Beaches- 72 Reviews, 125 Photos
- Monument a Colon - Columbus Monument- 87 Reviews, 150 Photos
See All Barcelona Things to Do