"South Padre Island...Texas' best beach" South Padre Island by rsleisk
South Padre Island Travel Guide: 161 reviews and 206 photos
Recorded history begins in 1519, when Alonso Alvarez de Pineda sailed past the Isla Blanca (White Island) while charting the Gulf of Mexico for Spain. Pineda claims giants inhabited the coast, and may have been referring to the Karankawa Indians, a tall people as feisty as longhorn steers. The "Kronks", as they were nicknamed, wintered on the mainland and spent the summer on the island, living on fish and clams. Early stories portray them as cannibals who ate flesh of still-living victims or roasted their foes over campfire.
In 1804, Padre Jose Nicolas Balli, a Catholic Missionary Priest, founded a settlement on South Padre Island called Rancho Santa Cruz where he raised cattle and horses. At the eastern foot of the Queen Isabella Causeway stands a bronze statue of Padre Jose Nicolas Balli clad in a cassock and clasping a crucifix in his right hand. In 1829, the year he died, Balli was awarded title to the Island by the Mexican government. His nephew, Juan Jose Balli, lived on the Island until 1853. Rediscovered in 1931, the site of Rancho Santa Cruz is known as the Lost City of Padre Island. Numerous Balli descendants still live in the Lower Rio Grande Valley.
- Pros:Texas' best beach, plenty to do.
- Cons:Gets busy during Spring Break!
The Laguna Madre Nature Trail was a great place to take a stroll and watch the different birds and even alligators... more travel advice
Good food and service. Great view of the bay, especially at sunset. The interior is cooly decorated with all sorts of... more travel advice
rsleisk's Related Pages
South Padre Island Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "South Padre Island, Texas"
- "Basaic South Padre Island Page"
- "Tropical Texas By The Sea"
- "South Padre Island"
- "South Padre Food & Fun"
- "South Padre Island...Texas' best beach"
- "Padre 03"
- See All...
- Things to Do in South Padre Island
- Hotels in South Padre Island
- Transportation in South Padre Island
- Nightlife in South Padre Island
- Restaurants in South Padre Island
- Shopping in South Padre Island
- Warnings and Dangers in South Padre Island
- See All...
Badges & Stats in South Padre Island
- 6 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (21)
Have you been to South Padre Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in South Padre Island
Top 10 Pages
- Naples Intro, 27 reviews, 87 photos, 2 travelogues
- Bangkok Intro, 16 reviews, 46 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Catania Intro, 15 reviews, 43 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tashkent Intro, 14 reviews, 41 photos, 2 travelogues
- Beijing Intro, 12 reviews, 40 photos, 3 travelogues
- Pompeii Intro, 1 review, 33 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Almaty Intro, 11 reviews, 21 photos, 1 travelogue
- Anchorage Intro, 6 reviews, 25 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Omaha Intro, 9 reviews, 20 photos
- Herculaneum Intro, 1 review, 28 photos, 3 travelogues