"Old world meets Russia" Top 5 Page for this destination Tashkent by rsleisk
Tashkent Travel Guide: 265 reviews and 578 photos
Once an outpost along the Silk Road trade routes to the far east and most recently a former Soviet Republic make Tashkent a very interesting and exciting city offering a varied mix of cultures.
Where once Carl Marx and Lenin were revered Tamerlane has replaced them echoing back to Uzbekistan's ancient heyday.
Although my time was cut short there due to terrorist activities I was fortunate to have had local colleagues show me around.
I had orginally planned to also make a journey to Samarkand but with the recent events it was called off. I was able to get a glipse of this ancient city at the Tashkent museum where there were replicas of the famous temples as well as an indepth look into the rule of Tamerlane, or Amir Temur.
This is Central Asia's largest performing arts complex the Friendship of Peoples Concert Hall. The tower is a lasting relic to Soviet times that depicts the 15 former Republics.
The statues in the foreground commerate the families that helped the many orphaned Uzbekistan children following WWII.
This photo was taken in front of the blue-domed Oliy Majlis Uzbekistan Parliment building. We asked the guard if it was alright to take a photo for he seemed to be eyeing us.
- Pros:Good food, friendly people, inexpensive travel
- Cons:Terrorist activities!
- In a nutshell:An interesting mix of the old world and post Soviet era.
The Tashkent Tomb of the Unknown Soldier memorial is near Independence Square. There is an eternal flame that burns to... more travel advice
These are some of the items you can buy from the many merchants in and around Broadway, a pedestrain only open market... more travel advice
Written Aug 4, 2005
The sights around Tashkent.
Written Nov 7, 2004
More sights around Tashkent
rsleisk's Related Pages
Tashkent Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Tashkent - full of life, color and so much charm"
- "A city rebuilt"
- "Capital of Uzbekistan"
- "A soviet-styled capital hiding some true charm"
- "Old world meets Russia"
- "Random pictures of Tashkent (1)"
- ""Stone Fortress": Uzbekistan's modern capital"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Tashkent
- Hotels in Tashkent
- Transportation in Tashkent
- Nightlife in Tashkent
- Restaurants in Tashkent
- Shopping in Tashkent
- Warnings and Dangers in Tashkent
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Tashkent
- 14 Reviews
- 41 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 15 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (15)
Have you been to Tashkent?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tashkent
- Posted in Travel Naples Forum "Re: preferred area to stay in..."
- Uploaded a Photo to "Central Asia's Only Subway!"
- updated a Tashkent Travelogue "The sights around Tashkent."
- Wrote a Review Tashkent Tomb of the Unknown Soldier in Tashkent Things to Do
- Commented on one of carolerica's Tashkent travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Naples Intro, 27 reviews, 87 photos, 2 travelogues
- Bangkok Intro, 16 reviews, 46 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Catania Intro, 15 reviews, 43 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tashkent Intro, 14 reviews, 41 photos, 2 travelogues
- Beijing Intro, 12 reviews, 40 photos, 3 travelogues
- Pompeii Intro, 1 review, 33 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Almaty Intro, 11 reviews, 21 photos, 1 travelogue
- Anchorage Intro, 6 reviews, 25 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Omaha Intro, 9 reviews, 20 photos
- Herculaneum Intro, 1 review, 28 photos, 3 travelogues