Guadalajara Hotel Tips by Jetgirly Top 5 Page for this destination

Guadalajara Hotels: 3,844 reviews and 38 photos

Hotel Morales Historical & Colonial Downtown Core: Luxury on a Budget Hotel Morales Historical & Colonial Downtown Core Review

I stayed at Hotel Morales for one night in May, 2008, and again for two nights at the end of June, 2008. Hotel Morales is centrally located in the heart of downtown Guadalajara, within walking distance of many major attractions and close to easy public transportation connections for attractions that are further away. There are some good restaurants nearby (La Chata and La Gorda are good for breakfast, La Maestranza is good for drinks and bar food, and La Fonda de San Miguel is good for dinner), as well as a restaurant in the hotel (oddly, I did sit there for about half an hour without anyone acknowledging me, so I just left and went elsewhere).

However, the best thing about Hotel Morales is the beautiful building and rooms. As soon as you enter you know you're in a nice hotel. The lobby is all dark stone, high ceilings and soft blue (!) lighting. There are lots of comfortable chairs in the lobby, and free wireless internet. The rooms are gorgeous as well. My first room had two queen-sized beds, a TV with many channels (including CNN and two other English news stations), two comfortable chairs and an iron and ironing board. The bathroom was gorgeous as well, with a separate toilet area and a large shower with views over the entire city and amaaaazing (for Mexico) water pressure. My second room had one king-sized bed and a bathroom without the cool window. Unfortunately, Hotel Morales has some trouble during the rainy season, and they were without hot water for my first night in June, then the TV cut in and out all afternoon before my second night. For the price I paid, I would not expect problems with hot water and cable.

Hotel Morales has similar prices to other hotels in the area, but is much, much more beautiful. Single rooms right now are 900 pesos (about $80 US/CAD) and double rooms are just a bit more. They also have suites for someone looking for something even posher! I'm quoting prices for cash payments, as it is significantly more expensive to use a credit card.

Address: Corona 243

Comparison: about average

Directions: A couple blocks south of Juarez and the Cathedral. One block east of 16 de Septiembre.

Phone: 52 33 36 58 52 32

Price: US$80-120

Theme: Hotel

Website: http://www.hotelmorales.com.mx

• Updated Jul 11, 2008
Hostel Guadalajara: Hosteling International - Guadalajara

I stayed at Hostel Guadalajara for three nights in January 2008. I booked through the Hosteling International website, paid a deposit online and showed up at the hostel... only to find they didn't have any record of my reservation. I pulled up my laptop (they have free wireless) and showed them my reservation. Somehow, they found me a place. I was in a room with four bunk beds, sleeping eight girls. The room was clean and most of the people in the hostel were like me- students looking for apartments before their terms abroad.

The hostel organized entertainment and activities, such as trips to Tequila (I didn't go, but I hear they cram fifteen people into a van, with most sitting without seatbelts in the back) and Mexican wrestling. I notice the website says that they offer free cultural events daily, where guests can meet and greet local artists, but that was never offered or advertised during my stay. Inside the hostel, you had access to a full, shared kitchen, lots of space to hang out and chat, and a book exchange. The shared bathrooms were fairly clean, but the hot water missed more than it hit. Most of the time there was no hot water and the staff blamed it on having run out of gas.

Once you get over the disorganization, Hostel Guadalajara is a pretty good place to stay. Dorm beds currently cost about 130 pesos per night ($12.50 USD) and I believe there are one or two private rooms available at a higher cost.

If you decide to stay at this hostel, make sure to check out the nearby Bar Maestranza (on the same street). It's a total dive, but the cheap food and drinks and cool bullfighting memorabilia make for a pretty cool evening.

Address: Calle Maestranza No. 147

Comparison: least expensive

Directions: Two blocks off Juarez, very close to the Cathedral.

Other Contact: gerencia@hostelguadalajara.com

Phone: 52 333 5627520

Price: less than US$20

Theme: Hostel

Website: http://www.hihostels.com/dba/hostels-Guadalajara---Hostel-Guadalajara-092618.en.htm

• Written Mar 15, 2008

Jetgirly Used To Live Here!

Jetgirly

“I've come to eat all of your fruits and vegetables.”

Badges & Stats in Guadalajara

Have you been to Guadalajara?

Latest Activity in Guadalajara

Visiting Guadalajara?
Read real reviews about Guadalajara Hotels!

Friends