"Five Months in Guadalajara" Top 5 Page for this destination Guadalajara by Jetgirly

Guadalajara Travel Guide: 231 reviews and 460 photos

Studying Abroad in Guadalajara

I am spending January - June 2008 in Guadalajara. I heard so many great things about the city before I came, and honestly I think most of the hype was from Canadian and American retirees living in their little English bubble on shores of Lake Chapala, who come into the city every few weeks to do their shopping. Guadalajara is a big, bland city that at times feels like a economically disadvantaged surburb of a major American or Canadian city. "Authentic" Mexican culture is hard to find, you have to really dig around to find interesting things to see and do, it's not easy to move around the city and people are lukewarm towards "gringos" (expect to hear that word every day). If you're traveling around Mexico, it's not a bad idea to stop in Guadalajara for a day or two, but I would not recommend making it the focal point of your vacation.

• Pros:Good climate.
  • Cons:Boring, unfriendly, difficult to get around.
  • In a nutshell:Worth a day or two - not more.
  • Last visit to Guadalajara: Mar 2008
  • Intro Updated May 11, 2014

• Dec 27, 2009 at 6:47 PM

The people from Guadalajara are very friendly. Of course, you have to be friendly yourself to be treated in such way. I have had great experiences with the people in this city.

• Mar 8, 2009 at 10:14 AM

I've read some terrible comments from some great restaurants from you... I would rather be a little bit more objective.

• brewjohnson's Profile Photo
    Feb 5, 2009 at 8:22 PM

Wow. Fantastic Guadalajara info. I'm taking a last minute trip down there tomorrow and think I'm going to stay at Hotel Morales and eat at some of your restaurant recommendations!

Jetgirly Used To Live Here!

Jetgirly

“I've come to eat all of your fruits and vegetables.”

Badges & Stats in Guadalajara

Have you been to Guadalajara?

Latest Activity in Guadalajara