"Five Months in Guadalajara" Top 5 Page for this destination Guadalajara by Jetgirly
Guadalajara Travel Guide: 231 reviews and 525 photos
I am spending January - June 2008 in Guadalajara. I heard so many great things about the city before I came, and honestly I think most of the hype was from Canadian and American retirees living in their little English bubble on shores of Lake Chapala, who come into the city every few weeks to do their shopping. Guadalajara is a big, bland city that at times feels like a economically disadvantaged surburb of a major American or Canadian city. "Authentic" Mexican culture is hard to find, you have to really dig around to find interesting things to see and do, it's not easy to move around the city and people are lukewarm towards "gringos" (expect to hear that word every day). If you're traveling around Mexico, it's not a bad idea to stop in Guadalajara for a day or two, but I would not recommend making it the focal point of your vacation.
- Pros:Good climate.
- Cons:Boring, unfriendly, difficult to get around.
- In a nutshell:Worth a day or two - not more.
Guadalajara has several amazing cemetaries that you can visit to get a sense of the city's history. The most atmospheric... more travel advice
Lake Chapala and the towns of Chapala and Ajijic make an easy day trip or weekend trip from Guadalajara. Busses leave... more travel advice
Jetgirly's Related Pages
Guadalajara Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Guadalajara, Guadalajara!!!!!"
- "Mi Casa Mexicana"
- "Five Months in Guadalajara"
- "Guadalajara Guadalajara!!!!!"
- "La perla tapatia"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Guadalajara
- Hotels in Guadalajara
- Transportation in Guadalajara
- Nightlife in Guadalajara
- Restaurants in Guadalajara
- Shopping in Guadalajara
- Warnings and Dangers in Guadalajara
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Guadalajara
- 32 Reviews
- 83 Photos
- 8 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (19)
Have you been to Guadalajara?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Guadalajara
Photos in GuadalajaraSee All Photos (83)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Victoria Intro, 136 reviews, 137 photos
- Sarajevo Intro, 37 reviews, 113 photos
- Vilnius Intro, 30 reviews, 95 photos
- Gdansk Intro, 30 reviews, 93 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 51 reviews, 65 photos
- Budapest Intro, 32 reviews, 84 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Guadalajara Intro, 32 reviews, 83 photos
- Mexico City Intro, 32 reviews, 80 photos
- Kaunas Intro, 25 reviews, 86 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Torino Intro, 65 reviews, 41 photos
No friends yet.