"Don't Be Scared! Visit Tiraspol!" Tiraspol by Jetgirly

Tiraspol Travel Guide: 69 reviews and 148 photos

It's Okay! Really!

I don't know how I first learned about Transnistria. For years I had dreamed of visiting Romania. Then, in 2008, a new student showed up at the school where I teach. She was from Moldova. I didn't know much about her home country so I did some Googling... and my research lead to an article about Transnistria. From that day forward I was hooked, and knew I would have to visit one day.

As luck would have it I was able to fulfill my dream of visiting Romania in the summer of 2010. I knew that I would have to include a visit to Moldova, and Transnistria. But the more I researched, the more it seemed like a silly whim. You see, Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada has a special regional warning for Transnistria: "AVOID ALL TRAVEL". They say, "The security situation is unstable and unpredictable, and the region is not under government control." I would be a single girl, traveling alone. Vulnerable. I think my mom cried when I told her I would include Transnistria as part of my trip. I'd traveled alone very extensively, but Transnistria was unlike anywhere I'd visited before.

Once I arrived in Moldova (via Turkey), I spent the next few days in a state of almost lightheadedness. All I could think about was Transnistria. Would I be strip-searched at the border? Would I be robbed? Would I be taken hostage? Days came and went, backpackers arrived and departed the hostel, and I was almost paralyzed. Some of the other backpackers had heard of Transnistria, but everyone was avoiding it. They thought it was insane that I, a girl traveling alone with no Russian language skills, would consider going.

One morning I was getting ready for another day in Chisinau, when I decided "now or never". I told the lady running the hostel that I would be going to Tiraspol for the day, and off I went.

The following tips will describe how everything I'd imagined was wrong, how everything I'd been warned about was a myth, and why you should visit Tiraspol (and why I want to go back!).

• Pros:Beautiful, clean, unique, affordable, friendly.
  • Cons:Bad reputation.
  • In a nutshell:Don't be scared! Just go!
  • Last visit to Tiraspol: Jul 2010
  • Intro Written Oct 31, 2010

Comments

Jetgirly

“I've come to eat all of your fruits and vegetables.”

Badges & Stats in Tiraspol

Have you been to Tiraspol?

Friends