"Don't Be Scared! Visit Tiraspol!" Tiraspol by Jetgirly
Tiraspol Travel Guide: 69 reviews and 148 photos
I don't know how I first learned about Transnistria. For years I had dreamed of visiting Romania. Then, in 2008, a new student showed up at the school where I teach. She was from Moldova. I didn't know much about her home country so I did some Googling... and my research lead to an article about Transnistria. From that day forward I was hooked, and knew I would have to visit one day.
As luck would have it I was able to fulfill my dream of visiting Romania in the summer of 2010. I knew that I would have to include a visit to Moldova, and Transnistria. But the more I researched, the more it seemed like a silly whim. You see, Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada has a special regional warning for Transnistria: "AVOID ALL TRAVEL". They say, "The security situation is unstable and unpredictable, and the region is not under government control." I would be a single girl, traveling alone. Vulnerable. I think my mom cried when I told her I would include Transnistria as part of my trip. I'd traveled alone very extensively, but Transnistria was unlike anywhere I'd visited before.
Once I arrived in Moldova (via Turkey), I spent the next few days in a state of almost lightheadedness. All I could think about was Transnistria. Would I be strip-searched at the border? Would I be robbed? Would I be taken hostage? Days came and went, backpackers arrived and departed the hostel, and I was almost paralyzed. Some of the other backpackers had heard of Transnistria, but everyone was avoiding it. They thought it was insane that I, a girl traveling alone with no Russian language skills, would consider going.
One morning I was getting ready for another day in Chisinau, when I decided "now or never". I told the lady running the hostel that I would be going to Tiraspol for the day, and off I went.
The following tips will describe how everything I'd imagined was wrong, how everything I'd been warned about was a myth, and why you should visit Tiraspol (and why I want to go back!).
- Pros:Beautiful, clean, unique, affordable, friendly.
- Cons:Bad reputation.
- In a nutshell:Don't be scared! Just go!
Outside the House of Soviets you will find a wall featuring portraits of "The Honorable Citizens of City Tiraspol". If... more travel advice
It is easy to get around Tiraspol on public transportation. Numerous busses and trams run inside the city, and all are... more travel advice
Jetgirly's Related Pages
Tiraspol Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Tiraspol - the capital of Transdniestria"
- "Soviet Union is still alive - at least HERE!"
- "Secret Policemans Ball"
- "Pridnestrovie - the land of opportunity"
- "TIRASPOL CAPITAL OF SHERIFF COUNTRY"
- "Tiraspol - Capital of Transdniestra"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Tiraspol
- Hotels in Tiraspol
- Transportation in Tiraspol
- Nightlife in Tiraspol
- Restaurants in Tiraspol
- Shopping in Tiraspol
- Warnings and Dangers in Tiraspol
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Tiraspol
- 7 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (19)
Have you been to Tiraspol?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tiraspol
Photos in TiraspolSee All Photos (9)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Victoria Intro, 136 reviews, 137 photos
- Sarajevo Intro, 37 reviews, 113 photos
- Vilnius Intro, 30 reviews, 95 photos
- Gdansk Intro, 30 reviews, 93 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 51 reviews, 65 photos
- Budapest Intro, 32 reviews, 84 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Guadalajara Intro, 32 reviews, 83 photos
- Mexico City Intro, 32 reviews, 80 photos
- Kaunas Intro, 25 reviews, 86 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Torino Intro, 65 reviews, 38 photos
No friends yet.