Barcelona Favorite Tips by Jetgirly
Barcelona Favorites: 663 reviews and 706 photos
Favorite thing: If you want to live and work as an English teacher in Barcelona, you will need several things. A valid EU passport is more or less mandatory, as the market is such that schools have no need to sponsor North American or Australian teachers. You'll also need a TEFL certificate. Because there is so much competition for jobs, schools are looking for teacherse who did their TEFL course in a real classroom (not online), and who completed supervised teaching practice as part of the course. The most highly regarded TEFL certiciates (in Europe) are the CELTA and Trinity TESOL, both of which can be done in your home country or in Europe. It also helps to have a university degree, but the degree can be in any field.
I did a CELTA program through International House Barcelona. The program ran for about five weeks in November and December (long because there was a five-day weekend in the middle due to a national holiday). They arranged accomodation for me near the school (but some students were farther away- insist on being close!) and provided free Internet and word processing facilities, as well as a large library of resource materials. Our instructors were well qualified and extremely different from one another, so we got two totally different perspectives on teaching. The students were fantastic and we spent many evenings drinking with them after class! Oh yeah, and drinking in the middle of class, since there was a bar in the school that served cheap beer and wine, plus hot lunches. I would highly recommend doing your CELTA in beautiful Barcelona. Beware though- most teachers entering the market find they have to take several part-time jobs at different schools in order to make a living in Barcelona. People who go outside the city (to the suburbs or other cities/countries entirely) tend to have more luck with full-time employment.
More Reviews (50)
- See All Christopher Columbus Monument
- See All Goodness Gracious, Great Balls of Food!
- See All Good Hotel, Great Location
- Bring Photo ID with Your Credit Card
Jetgirly's Related Pages
Barcelona Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Barcelona es bona..."
- "Seamandrew's Barcelona Page"
- "Truly Catalunya, Truly Spain"
- "Barcelona,one of the most beautiful Spanish cities"
- "Addictive Barcelona"
- "BCN, a mediterranean capital"
- "Gaudi is Not the Only Site in the City"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Barcelona
- Hotels in Barcelona
- Transportation in Barcelona
- Nightlife in Barcelona
- Restaurants in Barcelona
- Shopping in Barcelona
- Warnings and Dangers in Barcelona
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Barcelona
- 51 Reviews
- 65 Photos
- 267 Forum posts
- 27 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (21)
Have you been to Barcelona?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Barcelona
- Posted in Travel Calgary Forum "Re: Relocating To calgary"
- Wrote a Review Christopher Columbus Monument about Mirador De Colom - Columbus Monument in Barcelona Things to Do
- Commented on one of traveloturc's Barcelona travel pages
- updated a Barcelona Travel Page "Barcelona - Europe's MUST-SEE City!"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Plaza de Toros Monumental"
Photos in BarcelonaSee All Photos (65)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Victoria Intro, 136 reviews, 137 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 51 reviews, 65 photos
- Budapest Intro, 32 reviews, 84 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Torino Intro, 65 reviews
- Sighetu Marmatiei Intro, 17 reviews, 47 photos
- Brasov Intro, 20 reviews, 42 photos
- Cluj-Napoca Intro, 21 reviews, 41 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Suceava Intro, 17 reviews, 43 photos
- Guanajuato Intro, 17 reviews, 41 photos
- Sighisoara Intro, 18 reviews, 40 photos
No friends yet.
- Sagrada Familia- 459 Reviews, 1,009 Photos
- Parc Guell- 320 Reviews, 676 Photos
- Las Ramblas- 173 Reviews, 267 Photos
- Casa Milà - La Pedrera- 188 Reviews, 363 Photos
- Tibidabo- 53 Reviews, 104 Photos
- Montjuic- 73 Reviews, 133 Photos
- Casa Batlló- 138 Reviews, 284 Photos
- Plaça Reial- 53 Reviews, 89 Photos
- Barcelona Cathedral - Catedral de la Santa Creu i Santa Eulàlia- 135 Reviews, 257 Photos
- Mirador De Colom - Columbus Monument- 94 Reviews, 168 Photos
See All Barcelona Things to Do