"Torino - After the Olympics" Top 5 Page for this destination Torino by Jetgirly

Torino Travel Guide: 746 reviews and 1,631 photos

Torino 2006 - The Olympic Games

Did you come to Torino for the 2006 Winter Olympics? Or did you just watch the Games from home?

The 20th Winter Olympic Games were held at various venues in and around Torino, from February 9th to the 26th. In order to prepare for the Games, the city underwent many changes. Roads were improved, parking was added to the city center, hotels were constructed and shop-keepers and hotelliers brushed up their English skills. Ice-events such as skating, curling and hockey were held in the city, while snow-sports like skiing and snowboarding were held in the mountains around the city.

For information about Torino and how to spend your time while you are in the city, check out my tips.

If my tips help you plan your trip, please rate them accordingly! Thank you!

Torino Accomodation Tips For information on the youth hostel and suggestions for finding a place to stay when all the city-center hotels are booked.

Torino Dining Tips For information about where to eat while you are in the city. You will find that a local custom is to have an apertivo before dinner. Traditionally, this was a bitter pre-dinner drink like Campari, but today it has come to mean any alocholic beverage that is often accompanied by a buffet of food. Money-wise diners will read my tips to find the best places to (legitimately) turn your aperitivo into a full meal and save some money. Many places that serve apertivos turn into funky bars later in the evening, with DJs and dancing.

Torino Things to Do Tips What to see and what to miss while you are in the city. From the fabulous Cinema Museum to the missable Medieval Village.

Important Links for Visitors to Torino

My Virtual Tourist Home Page For information about me and my other travels- lots of information about Barcelona, Spain and Victoria, Canada!

Torino 2006 Olympic Website Homepage of the 2006 Olympics, which introduced Torino to an international audience.

City of Torino English Homepage Very basic information sponsored by the city with information for travelers (in English). The Italian version is more comprehensive.

Michelin Maps The best online site for maps of European cities, including Torino and the surrounding areas. Calculate the route from Point A to Point B.

Trenitalia Website Information in English about train schedules all over Italy. Includes badly-translated information about special offers.

GTT Torino Bus Information Your one-stop site for information about getting around in Torino. Click on Mappa rete urbana for a map of urban transit routes, Percorsi ed orari for information about stops and timetables, Tariffe for information about fares and Calcolo percorso to calculate the route from one place to another by either bus/tram or car.

Life in Torino

I have recently moved to Torino for work, and have found it to be nothing like I imagined! Torino is historical and industrial, it is large but feels small, and it is relatively untouched by English and American culture. It was the location for the original Italian Job film, as well as several classics by Dario Argento, and is the home of Fiat, Nutella and Martini. Torino is an excellent base for your travels because it is so close to France and Switzerland! The people are friendly and helpful, although expect a major language barrier if you don't speak Italian!

• Pros:Location, "Genuine" Italian Atmosphere
  • Cons:Smog!
  • In a nutshell:Let's wait and see what happens after the Olympics!
  • Last visit to Torino: Apr 2006
  • Intro Updated Mar 29, 2014

• Jun 25, 2010 at 8:09 AM

Thanks for the location info on Villa Scott; dying to see it. Don't want to sound like a know-it-all, but this is actually Art Nouveau architecture; it came right before Art Deco. If you like this style, you should visit Barcelona if you haven't already.

• jumpingnorman's Profile Photo
    Feb 22, 2009 at 5:19 PM

Hi there jetgirly...nice tips on Torino...I like that Egyptian Museum in Turin (heard of it before)...Thanks for reminding me, Greetings from AZ, Norman:)

• matt10gonzalez's Profile Photo
    Oct 19, 2007 at 10:14 PM

Oh my goodness! It'll sure be a barrier for me- I don't speak Italian! Haha! Torino looks nice Jetgirl, I should have gone here when I was here!

• May 6, 2007 at 11:00 AM

great job on torino and we also enjoyed your comments on Alba and Asti

• craic's Profile Photo
    May 2, 2007 at 7:19 PM

interesting and helpful info

• Propermark's Profile Photo
    Mar 22, 2007 at 10:09 AM

I'm glad you liked my country and Torino! I'd like to visit this city too.. I was told it's really nice. Take care. xoxo.

• JohnniOmani's Profile Photo
    Mar 15, 2007 at 6:40 AM

Hey Carly, quality page here ;) nice work. Jz

• TennisStudMan's Profile Photo
    Dec 6, 2006 at 8:18 AM

I cant make childish accusations if im OLD.

• Toyin's Profile Photo
    Nov 5, 2006 at 5:09 PM

Amazing sun set picture..excellent opening page.

• rongould's Profile Photo
    Sep 21, 2006 at 8:52 AM

Great stuff, I've been a lover of Torino for many years. Didn't see any mention of the fantastic Ice Cream places. I'll have to put them on my page. Forza Torino.

Jetgirly Used To Live Here!

Jetgirly

“I've come to eat all of your fruits and vegetables.”

Badges & Stats in Torino