Isla de Roatán Transportation Tips by Jetgirly
Isla de Roatán Transportation: 26 reviews and 27 photos
There are several ways to get around Roatan. Most of the time, you should be able to get around by foot. Towns like West End only have one road (and it's not even paved!). To travel between towns, you can take a taxi, share a taxi or take a bus (which is really a minivan). Taxis are comfortable but fairly expensive, and on certain routes (like West End to the ferry terminal) they literally will not let you wait around for someone to share with. On most other routes, you can listen for the sound of a honking taxi to identify which taxis are open for sharing. These taxis cost a fraction of the price of a private cab, but significantly more than a bus. Busses run between the main towns on the island. As I mentioned, they are actually minivans and you need to be prepared to be sharing the van with up to TWENTY-FIVE other people!
As of January 2008, the ferry between Roatan and La Ceiba runs twice a day and takes just over an hour and a half. Current departure times FROM LA CEIBA are 10:00 and 16:00. From ROATAN the boat leaves at 7:00 and 13:00. The trip costs approximately $24 one-way, or $30 in first class. Don't bother with first class, I bought a first class ticket just to check it out and the only advantage is a TV that plays movies subtitled in Spanish on silent. A lot of people get sick on the boat, and there are designated employees who spend the ride handing out bags for people who are sick, but I found both crossings to be relatively smooth. You will have to check any large luggage- make sure to keep your claim tag. The best strategy for claiming your luggage on either side is to just wait until the crowds die down.
More Reviews (21)
Jetgirly's Related Pages
Isla de Roatán Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Island of Roatan - Honduras"
- "Isla de Roatan, Honduras"
- "Roatan of Las Islas de la Bahia"
- "A Nice Balance Of Shear Relaxation & Terror !"
- "La isla Bonita"
- "The Adventure"
- "Perfect Mixture of Caribbean and Central America"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Isla de Roatán
- Hotels in Isla de Roatán
- Transportation in Isla de Roatán
- Nightlife in Isla de Roatán
- Restaurants in Isla de Roatán
- Shopping in Isla de Roatán
- Warnings and Dangers in Isla de Roatán
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Isla de Roatán
- 23 Reviews
- 25 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (21)
Have you been to Isla de Roatán?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Isla de Roatán
Photos in Isla de RoatánSee All Photos (25)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Victoria Intro, 136 reviews, 137 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 51 reviews, 65 photos
- Budapest Intro, 32 reviews, 84 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Torino Intro, 65 reviews
- Sighetu Marmatiei Intro, 17 reviews, 47 photos
- Brasov Intro, 20 reviews, 42 photos
- Cluj-Napoca Intro, 21 reviews, 41 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Suceava Intro, 17 reviews, 43 photos
- Guanajuato Intro, 17 reviews, 41 photos
- Sighisoara Intro, 18 reviews, 40 photos
No friends yet.