"Tomorrow will be Better for ACEH" Top 5 Page for this destination Aceh Special Region by meiyergani
Aceh Special Region Travel Guide: 386 reviews and 963 photos
The internal conflicts since 1970's was of a great difficulties for Acehness, Indonesians and especially for foreigner to attend and visit Aceh, but the Tsunami is something of a big Lesson for Indonesia, since then it was an encouragement for peoples who wish to visit Aceh, the domestic and even we can meet so many foreigner come and visit Aceh as tourist or as a representative of their countries in relieving Aceh Aftermath. Even former US President BILL CLINTON and JIMMY Carter had a chance visited Banda Aceh. A popular MU football player CRISTIANO RONALDO also had a chance visiting the region in respect to MARTUNUS a teen agers of Acehness who survive in the sea, break the TV News, floating with a log as a safe buoy as long as 7 days and surprisingly Martunus put on PORTUGAL football team T SHIRT while he was floating on the sea and later on rescued by a SAR team Ferry
The picture is an afternoon fast ferry from Weh island to Ulee Lheue, in a bright sunny day of JUNE, at the back ground was a mountain range of Weh island, if we take a speedy boat/fast ferry it will take 45 minutes, by a ferry will take 2 hours........
This is my long trip to almost Northern parts of SUMATRA island, depart from Bogor ride an abundant population of deer called "KIJANG" to CENGKARENG Sukarno Hatta Air Port, then ride a nearly extinction LION leap to MEDAN and then ride the same LION to BANDA ACEH, the Capital City of NANGGROE ACEH DARUSSALAM Province, from which I start to begin my enthusiastic journey exploring the NORTHERN parts land of SUMATRA: some parts of ACEH Special Region, Medan and some parts of North Sumatra Province, Bukit Tinggi and Padang which belong to West Sumatra Province.
Starting from ACEH Special Region which has long been a CLOSED zone to Outsider, wether for domestic and especially for Foreigner which concern to internal conflicts since 1970's, Now encourage the outsider by became a FREE ZONE by a "MAGIC" of Natural Disaster which touch this region in Late of December 2004, next day after christmast, in a bright sunday morning, a big EARTH QUAKE continuing with TSUNAMI hit the region and shock not only a nation wide but also nations worldwide.
Since 1998, whenThe New Government in the Reformation Order start a new Administration, The special Region of Aceh (Daerah Istimewa Aceh) change the name into Nanggroe Aceh Darussalam (NAD) in order to satisfy the peoples aspiration,
A Natural disaster which happened in Bright morning of December 26, 2004 at 00:58:53 UTC (7:58:53 am local time), a magnitude of 9.0 in richter scale earthquake occurred off the west coast of northern Sumatra, Indonesia. The epi-centre was located under sea water at 3.32 N 95.85 E. the fourth largest earthquake in the world since 1900. The earthquake generated tsunamis 30 minutes later which swept across the Indian Ocean within hours , a big wave of -TSUNAMI- come from Indian Ocean with the speed of 800 km per hour hit the western part and the northern part of Aceh Region and destroyed everything, the ruins of the tragedy still can bee seen right now
The disaster that rocked Aceh had a devastating impact on both the people and the infrastructure. The latest figures show that at least 250 thousand people were killed and 400 thousand became homeless. Two third of Aceh?s capital, Banda Aceh is destroyed. Much of the infrastructure has collapsed, thence after Aceh is being visited and helped by all kind of groups from every corner of the world, our neighbour Singapore, Malysia, Japan, Korea, Arab countries, USA, Australia, including government and non governments groups from member countries of the European Union, thanks to the world for their generous and compassionate response.
Calang after TsunamiPhoto from AcehMedia Center, by Farid Gaban, Tsunami which happened in December 26, 2004 change everythings, Before tsunami, It was of great difficulties for Tourist from abroad travelling this region, because the internal conflict, but after Tsunami, there are many foreigner attend to this region as a volunteer in helping the peoples relieving their misery into the normal physic, psyhology and social life(up date in March 13, 2005, for visited in 1997).
- Pros:Beautiful nature
- Cons:Very bad infrastructure in some parts because of tsunami
- In a nutshell:The Revival of The City After hit By Tsunami
GEURUTEE Peak which located at LAMNO, about 65 KM from Banda Aceh to the southwest ....belong to ACEH Jaya Regency...on... more travel advice
ULEE LHEUE was located about 20 KM east of Banda Aceh, this site was severely damage when Tsunami hit Banda Aceh in late... more travel advice
meiyergani's Related Pages
Aceh Special Region Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Bangkit Aceh!! (Wake Up Aceh)"
- "Tomorrow will be Better for ACEH"
- "Aceh, the neglected beautiful part of Sumatra"
- "Aceh - Serambi Mekah"
- "My First Time to Aceh"
- "Pulau Weh"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Aceh Special Region
- Hotels in Aceh Special Region
- Transportation in Aceh Special Region
- Restaurants in Aceh Special Region
- Shopping in Aceh Special Region
- Warnings and Dangers in Aceh Special Region
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Aceh Special Region
- 77 Reviews
- 191 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 8 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (60)
Have you been to Aceh Special Region?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Aceh Special Region
- updated a Aceh Special Region Travel Page "Tomorrow will be Better for ACEH"
- Posted in Travel Kawah Ijen Forum "Re: Ijen with kids (7 & 9 years..."
- Commented on one of meiyergani's Aceh Special Region travel pages
- Wrote a Review GEURUTEE Peak in Aceh Special Region Off The Beaten Path
- Uploaded a Photo to "Aceh Cultural melting pot"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Special Capital Region of Jakarta Intro, 71 reviews, 216 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Indonesia Intro, 66 reviews, 160 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bogor Intro, 43 reviews, 137 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Aceh Special Region Intro, 42 reviews, 92 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bali Intro, 39 reviews, 94 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bukittinggi Intro, 31 reviews, 76 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination North Sumatra Province Intro, 21 reviews, 85 photos, 3 travelogues
- Bandung Intro, 28 reviews, 63 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yogyakarta Special Region Intro, 20 reviews, 61 photos, 3 travelogues
- Lampung Province Intro, 15 reviews, 51 photos, 2 travelogues