"The Land with Thousand Rivers" South Kalimantan Province by meiyergani
South Kalimantan Province Travel Guide: 51 reviews and 110 photos
South Kalimantan is growing with its River transportation, if you visit Banjarmasin, don't miss a floating canoe and enjoy the peoples with their daily activities on the river.
BARITO river course, which runs from the north to south is the Long and great river in Indonesia, its about 6,000 km long. Barito is the mainstream and there are so many tributaries rivers big and small which connected Banjarmasin with its suburban village from Hulu Sungai (upsteam) to Hilir Sungai (downstream)
The main natural resources in South Kalimantan are forest and coal. Coal deposits are found over almost the whole province, and in some places they are exploited commercially. Other minor resources are oil, gold, gem stones, quartz sand, phosphate and granite
South Kalimantan is also known as South Borneo, one of Indonesia Province located at the southern parts of Kalimantan or Borneo island with Banjarmasin as the capital city.
Borneo island in general is one of Indonesian green forest conservation, there are many rivers - big and small - criss cross the island of Borneo, including BARITO River which crossing Banjarmasin and also as the interesting site for tourism where we could see the daily 'on the river' activities of the peoples since long long ago.
South Kalimantan by Meratus Mountains as the center of its geographic is divided into two distinct regions. The southern section of the province is much flatter is a coastal plain, lined by vast mangrove forests. This coastal area is rich in fresh and salt-water fishes. Many villages and settlements are built along the Barito River, by the indigenous majority, the Banjar.
There are 11 Districts/Regency and 2 Mayoraltis in South Kalimantan:
TANAH LAUT with its capital town PELAIHARI
KOTA BARU with its capital town KOTA BARU
BANJAR with its capital town MARTAPURA
BARITO KUALA with its capital town MARABAHAN
TAPIN with its capital town RANTAU
HULU SUNGAI SELATAN with its capital town KANDANGAN
HULU SUNGAI TENGAH with its capital town BARABAI
HULU SUNGAI UTARA with its capital town AMUNTAI
TABALONG with its capital town TANJUNG
TANAH BUMBU with its capital town BATULICIN
BALANGAN with its capital town PARINGIN
BANJARMASIN MAYORALTY with its capital town BANJARMASIN
BANJARBARU MAYORALTY with its capital town BANJAR BARU
BARITO RIVER is well known as the core of social activities since centuries ago, Barito is the breath of peoples from upstream to down the stream and Floating Market is where we could see the social interaction between the peoples for their economics and culutre and one of an interesting thing for tourism.
The Floating Market of Banjarmasin is a traditional market at the estuary of the Kuin river, a tributary of the Barito. From daybreak boats come from villages around the rivers Tabuk, Jelapat, Anjir and Selapat, bringing vegetables, fruits and other daily needs and household utensils. Buyers and sellers come to the market in small boats and close their transactions on the water. All daily needs can be obtained at this market.
Barito is the main river, used as a transportation route to the northern part of the province and to Central Kalimantan. Other smaller rivers are mostly springing from the Meratus Mountains.
- Cons:Coal mining
- In a nutshell:Barito River and Floating Market
Banjarmasin as the capital city is well known with Barito River and its Floating Market. If you visit South Kalimantan... more travel advice
meiyergani's Related Pages
South Kalimantan Province Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Land with Thousand Rivers"
- "The land of "Hello Mister!"."
- "from floating market to magical dayaks ceremony"
- See All...
- Things to Do in South Kalimantan Province
- Hotels in South Kalimantan Province
- Transportation in South Kalimantan Province
- Shopping in South Kalimantan Province
- Warnings and Dangers in South Kalimantan Province
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in South Kalimantan Province
- 5 Reviews
- 14 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (27)
Have you been to South Kalimantan Province?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in South Kalimantan Province
Photos in South Kalimantan ProvinceSee All Photos (14)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Special Capital Region of Jakarta Intro, 66 reviews, 209 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Indonesia Intro, 66 reviews, 148 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bali Intro, 38 reviews, 94 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Aceh Special Region Intro, 41 reviews, 90 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bogor Intro, 32 reviews, 95 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bukittinggi Intro, 29 reviews, 65 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bandung Intro, 28 reviews, 63 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination North Sumatra Province Intro, 18 reviews, 72 photos, 3 travelogues
- Lampung Province Intro, 15 reviews, 49 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kupang Intro, 16 reviews, 47 photos, 2 travelogues