"RIAU-TANAH MELAYU" Riau Province by meiyergani
Riau Province Travel Guide: 1,073 reviews and 3,079 photos
Riau Province which straddles between Malacca Straits, South China Sea and Berhala Straits geographically occupies the central part of eastern region on Sumatra Island, The Province is a strategic region as it directly faces Malacca Straits and Singapore, one of the busiest shipping lanes in the world.
Once known as Riau, it was the heart of an ancient Melayu Kingdom.
Riau is one of Indonesian province rich with natural resources, particularly petroleum and natural gas, rubber, palm oil and logging is a major industry in the province, the province is also well known as the lungs of the world with the fact that land was heavily forested, this lead to the province become one of the fastest growing parts of Indonesia in terms of economic, population and tourism.
Riau Province is administratively divided into 9 Regencies
Bengkalis, Indragiri Hilir, Kampar, Kuantan Singingi, Pelalawan, Rokan Hilir, Rokan Hulu, Siak and 2 cities (Mayoralty) Pekanbaru, Dumai.
Pekanbaru is the capital city of Riau Province
Most areas in Riau are lowland plain, including alluvial islands scattered along coastal line.
There are four big rivers in mainland region: Rokan River, Siak River, Kampar River and Indragiri River. These rivers spring from Bukit Barisan mountain range stretching along the border Riau Province and West Sumatra Province, and flow down to Malacca Straits. The rivers play an important role as the means of transportation, sources of irrigation, energy, and clean water as well as fishery resources.
Archipelago region of Riau, on the other hand, is formed of volcanic formation in the form of islands, big and small.
KEPULAUAN RIAU or Riau Archipelago was split off as a separate Province in July 2004 with Tanjung Pinang which located on the largest island of Bintan archipelago. as its capital of KEPULAUAN RIAU Province.
Anambas Archipelago, located between mainland Malaysia and Borneo were attached to the new province, the most important Riau islands are Bintan, Batam and Karimun. Size wise, however, the sparsely populated Natuna Islands are larger.
Riau Archipelago with its thousands of island has plenty of scenic beaches and diving spots, among them Trikora on Bintan and Pasir Panjang on Rupat Island. The first is about 50 kilometers south of Tanjung Pinang on the eastern side of the island. Pasir Panjang, on the northern side of Rupat facing to Malacca Strait, is stretched out natural beaches are also found on Terkulai and Soreh islands, about an hour's distance by boat from Tanjung Pinang.
One of the most popular beaches is Nongsa on Batam Island. From here one can see the Singapore skyline.
Their traditional wooden sailing craft, called 'phinisi' still do the forested channels of these islands, along with other indigenous craft, fishing vessels and cargo ships which call at the archipelago's main town and Tanjung Pinang port. Its waters are the backyard of native seafaring nomads who fish and trade for a living.
- Pros:Riau is the cultural core of Melayu people
- Cons:haze from burning woods in summer
- In a nutshell:The Land and the heart of an ancient Melayu Kingdom
Garuda Indonesia fly from Jakarta Soekarno Hata airport to Pekanbaru Sultan Syarif Kasim II six times a day ... one trip... more travel advice
PEKANBARU is the capital of Riau Province with an area of 632.26 km² with a population of 950,571 making it Sumatra's... more travel advice
meiyergani's Related Pages
Riau Province Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Riau Province & Indonesia in General"
- "RIAU-TANAH MELAYU"
- "Riau Map"
- "Tanjung Pinang"
- "Tropical Forest Kingdom"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Riau Province
- Hotels in Riau Province
- Transportation in Riau Province
- Nightlife in Riau Province
- Restaurants in Riau Province
- Shopping in Riau Province
- Warnings and Dangers in Riau Province
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Riau Province
- 6 Reviews
- 22 Photos
- 9 Forum posts
- 2 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (57)
Have you been to Riau Province?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Riau Province
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Special Capital Region of Jakarta Intro, 71 reviews, 216 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Indonesia Intro, 66 reviews, 148 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bogor Intro, 43 reviews, 137 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Aceh Special Region Intro, 42 reviews, 92 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bali Intro, 39 reviews, 94 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bukittinggi Intro, 31 reviews, 67 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination North Sumatra Province Intro, 19 reviews, 73 photos, 3 travelogues
- Bandung Intro, 28 reviews, 63 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yogyakarta Special Region Intro, 19 reviews, 50 photos, 2 travelogues
- Lampung Province Intro, 15 reviews, 49 photos, 2 travelogues