"QUEEN ESTUARY: BANJARMASIN" Banjarmasin by meiyergani
Banjarmasin Travel Guide: 49 reviews and 89 photos
BANJARMASIN is the capital city of South Kalimantan Province, which furnished by two big rivers: Barito and Martapura rivers with its tributaries of many small river where the peoples made their settlements along the edge of the KUIN RIVER where the water flow toward BARITO riverrivers.
MUARA KUIN is derived from QUEEN ESTUARY, the name of a village located in the vicinity of Sultan Suriyansyah Palace.
FLOATING MARKET is one of BANJARMASIN's popular tourist attraction since centuries ago, a traditional market at the estuary of the Kuin river, a tributary of the Barito. Now the activities of this uniQue market was still exist, the tourist was begin the trip from KUIN River in the very early morning, using a small canoe, called JUKUNG or PERAHU KLOTOK by local people, toward the mouth of Barito River and in about 20 minutes the klotok would reach Floating Market to see the on boats business activities
MUARA KUIN floating market which has been established since centuries ago is the witness of peoples trading activities who live by the rivers, from a day break boats come from villages around the rivers Tabuk, Jelapat, Anjir and Selapat, they are trading for agriculture commodities such as vegetables, various kind of banana, fresh water fish and all their daily necessities originated from their harvest
The Floating Market of Banjarmasin is Buyers and sellers come to the market in small boats and close their transactions on the water. All daily needs can be obtained at this market.
During high tide, the sea water floods the surrounding marshes, and the river water becomes salty. In the dry season, when the river water decrease, the wells and ponds are filled with sea water, and also become salty.
The river environment, however, gives this old town an appeal that is all its own. Rivers surround it and bring life to the town. The busiest trading centers are found in the center of the town, such as at Pasar Baru, Kuripan Market and some modern markets such as the Antasari Shopping Center.
A trip to BANJARMASIN in long long ago was sailing from Jakarta or Semarang, crossing Java Sea but today there were many flights which connect Banjarmasin from Jakarta, Semarang, Surabaya and Yogyakarta.
From Jakarta Soekarno Hatta (Cengkareng) Airport to Banjarmasin Syamsuddin Noor Airport would take about 90 minutes and from Syamsuddin Noor Airport, one could take a taxi to capital City Banjarmasin or to Banjar Baru
- In a nutshell:Barito and Martapura Riverside City
Floating Market or Pasar Terapung is a traditioil market on the river of Barito, this is a trading activities of peoples... more travel advice
meiyergani's Related Pages
Banjarmasin Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Venetia of kalimantan. (haha)"
- ">> city by the rivers "
- "SOUTH BORNEO / KALIMANTAN SELATAN"
- "Banjarmasin, the River Life Charm"
- "QUEEN ESTUARY: BANJARMASIN"
- "Banjarmasin the river"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Banjarmasin
- Hotels in Banjarmasin
- Transportation in Banjarmasin
- Shopping in Banjarmasin
- Warnings and Dangers in Banjarmasin
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Banjarmasin
- 3 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (30)
Have you been to Banjarmasin?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Banjarmasin
Photos in BanjarmasinSee All Photos (6)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Special Capital Region of Jakarta Intro, 66 reviews, 209 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Indonesia Intro, 66 reviews, 148 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bali Intro, 38 reviews, 94 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Aceh Special Region Intro, 41 reviews, 90 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bogor Intro, 32 reviews, 95 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bukittinggi Intro, 29 reviews, 65 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bandung Intro, 28 reviews, 63 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination North Sumatra Province Intro, 18 reviews, 72 photos, 3 travelogues
- Lampung Province Intro, 15 reviews, 49 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kupang Intro, 16 reviews, 47 photos, 2 travelogues