"BANJARMASIN, RIVER SIDE CITY" Top 5 Page for this destination Banjarmasin by meiyergani
Banjarmasin Travel Guide: 71 reviews and 185 photos
BANJARMASIN is the capital city of South Kalimantan Province, was a very popular places in Indonesia as a Riverside city, a big river BARITO which stretched from North to the South was divided South Kalimantan into two regions, the west bank and the east bank. Martapura river with its long and winding stream is a big river originated from Meratus mountain range on the north east of Banjarmasin and a canal river where the peoples made their settlements along the river bank.
Floating Market was one of Banjarmasin city attraction for tourism. There were two popular Floating Markets so far, one located at the Kuin (originated from QUEEN) estuary is derived from QUEEN ESTUARY, the name of a village located in the vicinity of Sultan Suriyansyah Palace called as MUARA KUIN Floating Market and another located at Martapura river canals which popular with LOK BAINTAN Floating Market, some 40 km from Banjarmasin to the east.
Banjarmasin Floating Market is a traditional market which already exist since the era of Sultanate Banjarmasin Kingdom was located at the estuary of the Kuin river, a tributary of the Barito, while LOK BAINTAN floating market was located at Martapura river canal which became popular since the year 2000.......
All the tourist was began the trip from KUIN River in a very early morning, using a small canoe, called JUKUNG or PERAHU KLOTOK by local people, toward the mouth of Barito River and in about 20 minutes the klotok would reach Floating Market to see the on boats business activities, starting from a day break boats were come from villages around the rivers: Tabuk, Jelapat, Anjir and Selapat, they are trading for agriculture commodities such as vegetables, various kind of banana, fresh water fish and all their daily necessities originated from their harvest.
Barito is one of a big river in Indonesia, about 600 km in length and 3 km in width, during high tide, the sea water floods the surrounding marshes, and the river water becomes salty. In the dry season, when the river water decrease, the wells and ponds are filled with sea water, and also become salty.
The river environment, however, gives this old town an appeal that is all its own. Rivers surround it and bring life to the town. The busiest trading centers are found in the center of the town, such as at Pasar Baru, Kuripan Market and some modern markets such as the Antasari Shopping Center.
Touristic Attraction: Beside Banjarmasin downtown, Muara Kuin Floating Market, Lok Baintan Floating Market, the other attraction are : Martapura diamond city just about 40 km frm Banjarmasin, the city was well known with Diamond & Gem stone, there are so many shops which sell diamond, gemstones and various kind of accessories.
Meratus Mountain Range which located some 60 km from Banjarmasin was very popular place for Lake Recreation, there is a big Lake, Riam Kanan Lake which confined with Meratus Hills and Mountain Range,
Mandiangin Mountain Resort was a big Reforestation project which also located at Mount Meratus compound, this is popular site for camping and Hiking.
Recently the tourist also could enjoy floating market every Sunday morning at Barjarmasin downtown, just in front of Governor Office
- Pros:Toward Green and Clean River City
- Cons:Forest Fire and Smoke Haze
- In a nutshell:The city which splitted by Barito and Martapura River
Floating Market or Pasar Terapung is a traditioil market on the river of Barito, this is a trading activities of peoples... more travel advice
When I was escorting Martapura River which crossing Banjarmasin downtown, in front of Governor Office, there is a... more travel advice
Written Oct 19, 2015
BANJAR MASIN Downtown
Written Oct 20, 2015
LOK BAINTAN FLOATING MARKET
meiyergani's Related Pages
Banjarmasin Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Venetia of kalimantan. (haha)"
- "Life in the water - La vida en el agua"
- ">> city by the rivers "
- "BANJARMASIN, RIVER SIDE CITY"
- "SOUTH BORNEO / KALIMANTAN SELATAN"
- "Banjarmasin, the River Life Charm"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Banjarmasin
- Hotels in Banjarmasin
- Transportation in Banjarmasin
- Shopping in Banjarmasin
- Warnings and Dangers in Banjarmasin
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Banjarmasin
- 12 Reviews
- 40 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (60)
Have you been to Banjarmasin?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Banjarmasin
- Posted in Travel Kawah Ijen Forum "Re: Ijen with kids (7 & 9 years..."
- updated a Banjarmasin Travel Page "BANJARMASIN, RIVER SIDE CITY"
- Uploaded a Photo to "BANJARMASIN GROUND ZERO"
- Wrote a Review SUNDAY MORNING Floating Market in Banjarmasin Things to Do
- Commented on one of meiyergani's Banjarmasin tips
Photos in BanjarmasinSee All Photos (40)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Special Capital Region of Jakarta Intro, 71 reviews, 216 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Indonesia Intro, 66 reviews, 160 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bogor Intro, 43 reviews, 137 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Aceh Special Region Intro, 42 reviews, 92 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bali Intro, 39 reviews, 94 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bukittinggi Intro, 31 reviews, 76 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination North Sumatra Province Intro, 21 reviews, 85 photos, 3 travelogues
- Bandung Intro, 28 reviews, 63 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yogyakarta Special Region Intro, 20 reviews, 61 photos, 3 travelogues
- Lampung Province Intro, 15 reviews, 51 photos, 2 travelogues