"BUKIT TINGGI - A HILL TOWN" Top 5 Page for this destination Bukittinggi by meiyergani
Bukittinggi Travel Guide: 131 reviews and 276 photos
THE PICTURE ABOVE IS A LANDSCAPE OF MAYOR'S ADMINISTRATION OFFICE VIEW FROM FORT DE KOCK
BUKIT TINGGI literally means TOP HiLL, BUKIT in bahasa means HILL and TINGGI means High, as we were realized that BUKIT TINGGI is a nice TOWN in West Sumatra located at the Hill side. Beside the Hill side, this lovely town was also located between two mountain, MERAPI MOUNTAIN and SINGGALANG MOUNTAIN, in a clear sunny day we can see a beautiful Panorama of Both MOUNTAIN's Peak from a Park where a big CLOCK monument stand still elegantly
As a former of one of the Dutch site in an ancient time, Bukit Tinggi is a most developed small town than the other region of West Sumatra Province. Around Jam Gadang (Clock Tower) as a TOWN CENTER we can find Dutch Architech Houses side by side with Minangkabau's architectural building as seen at the picture, it is Bukit Tinggi Post Office building.
The other historical remnants of the Dutch times was a railway train which link the capital city of West Sumatra Province- PADANG - to Bukit Tinggi, where one can see the railway not far from Lembah Anai Water fall if we travel from Bukit Tinggi to Padang vise versa, the railway is an unique one by there is an additional line at the center of the railway, the track for COG-WHEEL train which was designed to steep hill, unfortunately the train now is not in operation because of maintenance reason
As a Former Dutch Colony, One can find a Fortress which was been built in 1825 as a defence of the Dutch army against the struggle of local peoples which lead by TUANKU IMAM BONJOL.
The fortress was built in Bukit (hill) JIREK, now as one compound of Bukitt Tinggi ZOO
- Pros:A Nice Hill Top Town
- In a nutshell:SIANOK canyon,Clock Tower, Lembah Anai &COG WHEEL railway
BICYCLING ....starting from BUKITTINGGI through Hills, Valley, Woods ....step up, step down long and winding sharp turn... more travel advice
This fort was located inside Bukitt Tinggi Zoo .....The original fortress maybe already disappear, the remnants is... more travel advice
meiyergani's Related Pages
Bukittinggi Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The volcanic heart of Sumatra"
- ">>from rice barn to buffalo shaped houses"
- "Street in this Mountainous City"
- "BUKIT TINGGI - A HILL TOWN"
- "Bukittinggi - The heart of the highlands"
- "Bukittinggi Page"
- "Bukittinggi - High Hill"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bukittinggi
- Hotels in Bukittinggi
- Transportation in Bukittinggi
- Nightlife in Bukittinggi
- Restaurants in Bukittinggi
- Shopping in Bukittinggi
- Warnings and Dangers in Bukittinggi
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bukittinggi
- 31 Reviews
- 76 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (58)
Have you been to Bukittinggi?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bukittinggi
Photos in BukittinggiSee All Photos (76)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Special Capital Region of Jakarta Intro, 71 reviews, 216 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Indonesia Intro, 66 reviews, 160 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bogor Intro, 43 reviews, 137 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Aceh Special Region Intro, 42 reviews, 92 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bali Intro, 39 reviews, 94 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bukittinggi Intro, 31 reviews, 76 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination North Sumatra Province Intro, 21 reviews, 85 photos, 3 travelogues
- Bandung Intro, 28 reviews, 63 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yogyakarta Special Region Intro, 20 reviews, 61 photos, 3 travelogues
- Lampung Province Intro, 15 reviews, 51 photos, 2 travelogues